Hop shoots have broken the soil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runhard

Reaction score
It's a good day; about 1/2 of the rhizomes I ordered from www.thymegarden.com have broken through the soil so I guess I better get the rest of the garden done and the twine strung. This is my first attempt at hops in central TX but based on Edwort's success and what Chris Colby spoke about on www.brewcrazy.com I hope to have moderate success. The BYO editor said that he's been successfully growing about 8 varieties in central TX and the 'C' varieties do well. One of the cool things is that I plan on trying to develop a method for relative quantitative determination of alpha acid content. I wish I could simply take a sample to work and use our analytical HPLC but I don't think the company would approve unless it was making them money.

Anyway, it's a good day to see the hops coming in and I hope we get a little rain this year so I don't have to use the drip irrigation all the time.

Anyone else have hops coming in yet?

Jeffrey

Melana said:
Are you taunting those of us that are Northern Yankees? Parts of our state got snow last night. UGH.

Definitely not taunting as I know that just because the shoots have broken through the real test will be nursing the plants along during the dog days of summer. I'm really concerned that due to the amount of foliage the bines are going to lose tremendous amounts of water through the stomata. There's a good reason that "Northern Yankees", which in Texas is defined as anyone north of the Red River, generally have greater success with hops than us rednecks down south. Regardless of what happens I'll have fun trying to grow hops. If it doesn't work out well, then we can use the beds for something else next year.

Congrats!

I had one of my 2 rhizomes, the second one I planted, sprout earlier this week, in a pot.
Well, the first one, which I had actually planted a few days earlier right in the soil in my backyard, rather carelessly, finally sprouted as well. As both shoots are only about an inch long at this point I'm not planning on stringing any twine this weekend.

I've got six of my eight poking out of the snow (all of the Year 3's). The Mt. Hood seems well named, as it has grown 8" during a week of freezing nights and almost daily snow.

Hey Runhard, we aren't Yanks here north of the Rio Rojo in the Land of the Red Man ;). I do think we have a better chance at growing hops though than further south. This year I only have one plant growing and it is indoors. It is already 5' and looking good. I planted the crown from last year inside to grow up a 20' spire they have in their indoor garden and it took off. Only one bine right now and the other is slowly starting to grow out of the crown. Aren't hops wonderful? LOL

Ordered 6 rhizomes, shipped 8. All 8 no have 2-4 sprouts!:)
(BTW, there was 6" of snow in my yard yesterday, these are in my basement)

Action said:
I also ordered from the www.thymegarden.com this year. They are in the ground but nothing yet. Last years are comming, My 2nd year Nugget is going crazy. Already 4' tall. Things are looking good.
Jack

4' tall.............. can I say hop envy.

I'm not certain what to expect this year. I dug out 2'x2'x3'deep holes to get through our 3 inches of topsoil, 8 inches of clay, 8 inches of caliche, and then more clay. I went to the Natural Gardener in Austin and picked up a yard of their soil that has a pH 6.5. It's a blend of soil, compost, green sand, sulphur, and the good Lord knows what else. I went with this acidic soil because if I run out of harvested rain water and resort to our tap water, it generally hovers around pH 9.2 and that worries me a little.

My Nuggets from freshops.com popped up too. I Have about 10 shoots coming up, 1 of them is about 2.5" tall now. I share your concern with the Central Texas summer, but I figure it's worth a shot.

2 out of 8 have sprouted. Only 7 days in the soil outside. We had some nice warm weather last week. 1st ones up..Centennial and Magnum.

Brewed an IPA this morning, drinking a DFH-60 tonight ....LIFE IS GOOD.

:)

hop_baby.JPG

Latest posts

Back