High Fermentation Temp Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkrampy

Reaction score
So here in western PA we are having some weird fluctuations in weather. 30F one day 60F the next then down to 30F. Needless to say it becomes an issue with the temps in the house.

The beer is a stout and i was using California Ale liquid yeast.

When i pitched the yeast the wort was about 75F, and cooled down to about 72F over night.

I use a cooler for fermenting. Fermentation was not present for about 24 hours or so. When fermentation started the temp obviously started to rise and everything was going well.

I forgot to check this morning on the temp when heading out the door, but when i got home i found that the beer was about 80F. I put ice in and was able to cool the fermenting wort to about 75F in about 2 hours.

I can only suspect that the 80F was going on for about 24 hours or so.

being a noob, i know that temps are pretty crucial however @ 80F for 24 hours, what, if any, noticeable off flavors will show up? Do you think there will be any issues with the beer?

Thanks All

Obviously the steadier the better. Try to start your ales around 66. Depending on where you were in the fermentation the 80F may not be a big deal, especially with a stout...the later in the fermentation the better. I usually run my ales at 66-68 then warm them up to about 70 in the 3rd week before chilling them down to clarify.

Well tkrampy, the main "feature" presented to you by the fermentation at 80ºF (~27ºC) is the ester that may cause some fruity banana flavor according to yeast used (T-58, for example). For the stout it's strongly undesired. Another thing that may be produced are the high alcohols, which may cause burnt sensation on tongue, headaches, nausea, etc. and as you may presume, it's undesired too. According to the "vigor" of your fermentation during the 24h at 80ºF, it may had generated some quantities of these chemicals. Just let the beer rest after the fermentation stops, the yeast should take care of SOME, not all, of the "trash" in the beer, by luck, this might haven't happened to your beer. Remember: high temps = high alcohols (solvent) and esters; low temps = diacetyl , regular alcohol (ethanol).

Thanks all, i guess I will wait and see what happens. I will remember to start the ales at 66F...appreciate the feedback and info on this

Back