Kegging stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasbrewer1500

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a stout, but I don't have a nitrogen tank. Is it ok to just use co2 and force carbonate? Will it come out ok?

Even if you did have a nitrogen (or more properly a beer gas mix) tank, you'd want to carbonate with CO2 first.

Use the two week at serving pressure and temperature method to carbonate. Give it a bit longer if you can hold off to get better carbonation too.

Yes, it will be fine. Lots of people bottle their stouts and let in bottle condition/carbonate, which gives a similar effect as force carbing. I've kegged and served stouts with CO2. It will have a different look and possibly different mouth feel but will still be good. If you want to put it on nitrogen you'll need a stout faucet in addition to the beer gas tank to serve it.

what about if you want to age the stout for a few months? Still keg it and set it at serving pressure and leave in the fridge or get it to serving pressure and remove from the fridge and just hook it up to CO2 every few days to maintain pressure?

what about if you want to age the stout for a few months? Still keg it and set it at serving pressure and leave in the fridge or get it to serving pressure and remove from the fridge and just hook it up to CO2 every few days to maintain pressure?

Let it age, then either keg it up, or move the keg to fridge to carbonate on CO2 then serve on beer gas (IF you wish) or just keep on CO2 to serve.

it's sitting in secondary on oak/bourbon/ vanilla.. However i dont want it to sit on the oak too long and not too interested in bottling it.. Do i just transfer it to keg, flush it with C02 and set it aside as to not cold crash it?

Latest posts

Back