Choose my next beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geremiah

Reaction score
Hello all, thanks to the help from many of you I now have a Cascade APA about 2 weeks into fermenting and an AK47 Pale Mild about 4 days into fermenting and all seems to be going good so far! :rockin:

My reason for this post is to seek more advice. This time on what would be a logical step for my next brew. These first two brews were both extract one was LME (APA) and the other was DME (AK47) both had specialty grains, although the APA used whole leaf hops and the AK47 used pellets.

I found that I enjoyed using the LME better since it's easier to work with once warmed up. and the DME kept getting doughy as I was slowly adding it to the boil. I also found I liked using specialty grains and I prefer the whole hops.

To the point, I have a few ideas of my next brew although I am very open to suggestions of those who have gone before me. My ideas were:

1. NB's Breakfast Stout

2. NB's American Rye Ale (I heard partial-mash is a minimum to truly enjoy Rye, any truth to this?)

3. NB's Smoked Amber Ale (This is a partial-Mash kit)

The third one is if I decide to pursue Partial-Mash. I have everything needed to do a BIAB Partial-Mash.

Give me your opinions/thoughts/comments/concerns!

I know I am a newb on here but I would go with the Breakfast Stout. If for no other reason than to give you a break from the bitterness of your existing ales.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Rye needs to be mashed - unless you can get hold of rye extract which NB has. I've actually never seen it anywhere else.

I like a nice rye ale but I agree, for more variety the breakfast stout sounds good. Not a fan of smoked beers myself but if you like 'em go for it.

Welcome to the obsession!
:mug:

I would be very curious to know how that Rye Ale turns out, if you choose to do that one. I like the Liberty and Sterling hops they include for that recipe. I've used Sterling for flavor/aroma on several batches and love the results.

And according to the NB website, that Rye extract is 70% 2-row, 20% rye and 10% caramel 40L. That means it isn't straight up Rye, but rather the more typical mix of a bit of Rye with a lot of base malt.

So, I vote for doing the American Rye Ale and reporting back to us about how it turns out.

I say go with the rye malt extract for NB and do the rye ale. Welcome to the plotting and scheming world of home brewing (referring to how to get the SWMBO to let you purchase the must have piece of equipment). If it hasn't happened yet it will......

No SWMBO yet, just a long-time, live-in girlfriend. I'm fairly certain it's almost as bad.

I'll look into the Breakfast Stout and the Rye Ale, it's between those two. Thanks for the input so far guys.

Latest posts

Back