Brewed my Cider Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tielson's

Reaction score
please tell me if this was ok.

First we sanatized the carboy for 2 minutes with a few quarts of water and 2 caps full of star san for 2 minutes than rinsed out the bubbles.

second we added the apple cider and sugar

than yeast

put the carboy lid on and air lock with vodka

we are nervous that we did something wrong, but we followed the instructions all the way.

star san is a no rinse sanitizer so if you used regular water to rinse you defeated the purpose of sanitizing.
that being said, a healthy pack of yeast should beat out any nasties from the rinse water.
did you pour the cider so you got some splashing for aeration as yeast need oxygen at the start of fermentation?

We all worry too much when we start brewing. Everything seems alright.

I once dropped a plier, which still had sand on it, in my unfermented wort. The beer turned great!

I never used starsan (I use aseptox), but I don't think you're supposed to rince it. If you use tap water to rince it you might (althought it's unlikely) contaminate your wort.

Anyway, "don't worry, relax, and have a homebrew"...

the bubbles will not hurt anything.
i just let the carboy sit covered for 10 minutes then pour out the starsan residue
and don't worry about the leftover bubbles.

rod said:
the bubbles will not hurt anything.
i just let the carboy sit covered for 10 minutes then pour out the starsan residue
and don't worry about the leftover bubbles.

so i can just dump the apple juice with the bubbles in my carboy?

I saw a post at one point where someone said that the bubbles had something in them that the yeast actually liked.

Crazytwoknobs said:
I saw a post at one point where someone said that the bubbles had something in them that the yeast actually liked.

Phosphates once the acid component of the sanitizer breaks down.

-D

Back