it's been 3 weeks, woops! I forgot to take out the hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missjacki

Reaction score
I went to check the gravity tonight and realized that I never even took out the mesh bags of hops ~ 3 weeks ago when I pitched! WOOPS!

So, what do you think? What's the worst that could happen? I tasted a sample and it tastes OK, the beer has more "floaties" in it than I would normally expect, but this was my first partial grain batch....so I also don't know exactly WHAT to expect. The 5 batches I've done before this I started with hopped syrup extract...

My initial impulse is to "strain" the beer as I pour it into the priming sugar and then bottle and see what happens.

???

I don't use hop bags, and just dump everything in my primary and leave it for a month, and never had any issue with it.

I would be hesitant to "strain" anything at this stage of the game, the risk of oxydation is high now that the beer is fermenting.

I don't quite understand the problem. You can rack the beer to the bottling bucket, without any problems from the hops. They won't clog your siphon.

OK, sounds good. My concern was that according to the recipe instructions I was supposed to remove the mesh bags of hops right before pitching the yeast. I didn't do that, and so I was just making sure that leaving the hops in the fermenting beer would be OK.

Sounds like it should be no problem then. thanks for the quick responses, I can always rely on this site!

OK, sounds good. My concern was that according to the recipe instructions I was supposed to remove the mesh bags of hops right before pitching the yeast. I didn't do that, and so I was just making sure that leaving the hops in the fermenting beer would be OK.

Sounds like it should be no problem then. thanks for the quick responses, I can always rely on this site!

Sure, it's fine. The bag was sanitized when it boiled in the wort. I don't bag my hops, so they usually just go into the fermenter with my wort. I think if they were in a bag, I'd probably notice and pull them out just because I saw it. But maybe not- I drink, you know! :D

I've actually got a hunch, from my off-beat methods, that more hops and trub make for a better beer in the end.

I usually get enough wort that a partial batch gets left in a smaller fermentor. This frequently is where most of the trub and hops mush lands. On bottling day I give it a unique marking for the beer from that fermentor.

The beer from that fermentor seems to have a cleaner, crisper, more straight forward beer character.

...totally unscientific.....

How was the beer BTW?

Back