dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beavertime

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the dry hopping method, adding the hops to the wort instead of boiling it? If so, what would be a good amount of hops to use (We use pellets)

Thanks

It depends on the style. Dry hopping will add aroma to the beer. For an IPA, I normally use 1-2 ounces of dry hops for 10-14 days.

Yah people do it here all the time. Throw whatever you want in there depending on your taste. I've gone 0.5-2oz, people have done more.

Technically I think dry-hopping refers to adding the hops to the "beer" after it is done fermenting, not the "wort" before it has fermented, though I could be totally wrong about that.

Yah people do it here all the time. Throw whatever you want in there depending on your taste. I've gone 0.5-2oz, people have done more.

Technically I think dry-hopping refers to adding the hops to the "beer" after it is done fermenting, not the "wort" before it has fermented, though I could be totally wrong about that.

you're right, that's how it works

I think someone should include that when people dry hop, it is in ADDITION to boiling hops. I dont know that anyones in the practice of purely dryhopping. Just thought someone should mention that for the OP

Yeah it's not a replacement for boiling hops. Your boil hops (depending on the time added) will contribute to bitterness (IBUs), flavor, and aroma. Dry hops will add no bitterness but only pure flavor and aroma.

And yes, it's amazing :D

Back