Wire gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stokems

Reaction score
For my rims I have a 1500w element. I was wondering if a 16/3 wire is the right gauge to safely wire it?
Thanks guys, MJ

yep, 12 AWG for that bad boy. Make sure you have it plugged into a 20 amp circuit too.

This was what I thought would work. Wrong answer.

image-3874533576.jpg

As two of the previous posts mentioned, you also want to make sure you use a 20 amp circuit. Electricians, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you don't want to exceed about 80% of your amperage rating, so that would be around 16 amps on a 20 amp circuit. Just something to keep in mind in case you have additional things plugged in on the same circuit.

I have a HERMS using two 1500 watt elements (one in heat exchanger, one in HLT) each plugged into a dedicated circuit. The only 12 AWG cords I could find at Lowe's were the ones intended for window AC units. I can't remember how much I paid, but I want to say they were around $12 each.

So another question. I found a spool of 12/2 that has a copper ground in it(should that make it 12/3) 600 volts. It's romex wire. Will this be capable? I know, I know.....electric noob.

Thanks for simplifying that for me. Will the 12/2 safely power my rims?

It will, but Romex shouldn't be used as a power cord. It's very stiff and the jacket isn't designed for flexing and abrasion.

You want an SJ (Service Jacketed) cord. Take a look in your big box store's appliance section for replacement appliance cords. You should be able to pick up a 12 gauge one easily and fairly cheaply.

-Joe

Cool, thanks guys. I wanna be safe and have a slamming electric brew system to make sweet nectar of the Gods!

As two of the previous posts mentioned, you also want to make sure you use a 20 amp circuit. Electricians, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you don't want to exceed about 80% of your amperage rating, so that would be around 16 amps on a 20 amp circuit. Just something to keep in mind in case you have additional things plugged in on the same circuit.

I have a HERMS using two 1500 watt elements (one in heat exchanger, one in HLT) each plugged into a dedicated circuit. The only 12 AWG cords I could find at Lowe's were the ones intended for window AC units. I can't remember how much I paid, but I want to say they were around $12 each.

The 80% rule is for continuous loads. A continuous load is defined as one that is expected to be energized for three hours at a time or more. It certainly wouldn't hurt if you were to follow that rule all the time. Err on the side of caution, as it were.

Back