Another mozz. question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suckr

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt to make some quick (30 min) mozz. I have milk known to work (low temp/non homogenized), but I have no citric acid. I do have a bottle of lime juice concentrate (not the little plastic lime). Has anyone used the concentrate in place of the acid? My problem is the label is no longer on the bottle and I'm not sure on the conversion of concentrate to actual juice. Anyone know? Has anyone used the concentrate instead of actual juice? I've also seen where lime juice is more acidic than lemon juice.. Any ideas on quantity?

update: I found a scrap of the label.. it is not concentrate.. its ounce for ounce equal.. The question still stands about quantity though (being that lime juice is more acidic)

update #2...

I don't believe cheese making is for me..

At a bit under 1/3c lime juice, you can still taste limes..
I'm hoping that its just the Junket tabs are Junk..
I think I have 9th degree burns on my hands..
Final texture/consistancey = Imagine if you were to try to eat an eraser off the end of a pencil...

It may actually make a decent deep fried cheese smothered in sauce, other than that I think the dogs have a new chew toy..

I may splurge and pick up the 'correct stuff' and give it another shot though - after my hands heal :(

Sorry to hear you burned yourself. Do you like farmers cheese sometimes called fromage blanc? It is very simple cheese and very easy to make, maybe that would be a better cheese to experiment with for now. 30 minute mozz is good but the unabridged version is definitely better. Try watching some videos on youtube about how to make various cheese there are some that provide a good insight. I've only made a few, but no hard cheeses, maybe one day I'd like to make a cheddar.

Citric acid is often available at a grocery store in the canning section, since it's used as a preservative. You can also use a cup of fresh active culture yogurt for the acid, stir in the yogurt and let the milk sit at 90*F for about three to four hours and it will acidify enough to continue on from there as if you added acid. I prefer the culture method over acid myself since it tastes better, it isn't really any more trouble than using the shortcut, it just takes longer.

Everything I have read says don't use the Junket tabs they are ______.

Back