newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chormang

Reaction score
I had an idea and I wondered if anyone has ever tried this. Since it seems that most flavorings are added to the secondary when making mead, is it possible to experiment with recipes by buying a bottle of plain mead at the store and adding flavorings in order to pin down the amounts before you commit to a full batch of your own?

That is an interesting idea to be sure. One thing that might cause a problem is the fact that by and large most of those commercial meads won't have any yeast in them, so the sugars in the fruit wouldn't be consumed, unlike a mead that you do at home... at least the way I do my meads.

However, I guess it could be possible to just add some flavor extracts to the commercial mead to find out if you like a particular fruit in mead.

Some meaderys also add fruit flavor to their meads as well. I know red stone has different fruit flavors.

Back