i drunken boiled 3 inches of vinyl tubing in my hobgoblin for 60minutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picobrew

Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
and I used the aroma hops as bittering hops so I'm at 41 ibu instead of 25. this is the first brew I've done where I have really biffed it. alcohol+headcold

Is the vinyl tubing boil going to kill me or ruin my beer SHOULD I DUMP IT (just kidding about the dumping but not about the ruining the beer question???)

cheers!

please send 5 gallons for evaluation.

I would drink it.

I'm not sure if this info is accurate or applicable but here you go...

Cancer Update from John Hopkins

This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center as well.

Please circulate to all you know!

CANCER update John Hopkins

No plastic containers in microwave.

No water bottles in freezer.

No plastic wrap in microwave.

A dioxin chemical causes cancer, especially breast cancer.

Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies. Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic.

Recently, Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital , was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us.

He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers..

This especially applies to foods that contain fat.

He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body..

Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food... You get the same results, only without the dioxin So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else.

Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper. It's just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc.

He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons...

Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food.

Cover food with a paper towel instead.

This is an article that should be sent

to anyone important in

your life!

I wasn't sure so that is why I wrote,

I would drink it.

I'm not sure if this info is accurate or applicable but here you go...

thanks for the correction.

does anyone else know how bad this is? does any vinyl nastiness get transferred? the tube length went from clear to white after the boil.

I have no idea, but I wouldn't sweat about it. I bet it's all OK.

Look back on this thread in a year, you will laugh your balls off! ;)

Also, I totally see myself making these same mistakes in a year. Whenever I brew there is usually like 3 other activities going on and many people around. It can get crazy.

It'll be fine Pico. You need to get PVC well above it's melting point before any of the nasties are released. Boiling wort is not an issue.

It'll be fine Pico. You need to get PVC well above it's melting point before any of the nasties are released. Boiling wort is not an issue.

Hell yeah arturo, this is the answer I was lookin for! Ill taste it today or tomorrow and see whatsup. It was a piece of tubing that I cutt off of my mash draining tubing. Somehow it ended up in the wort hahah. I wasn't even drinking apfelwein, just normal beer!!

Don't some people use this stuff for sight glasses? Mine turned all white.

Back