Need some help please !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muntzster

Reaction score
Well i never took a hydrometer reading of my banana wine, never had a hydrometer and i just moved it to the secondary, and took a hydrometer reading, its 1.50? i thought it was supposed to be near 1.00. It was just about done fermenting, hardly any bubbles and the airlock had almost no activity. Should I just let it ferment in the secondary until its completly done then add my camden and sorbate. At my homebrew shop they guy told me not to add the sorbate until it was completly done.

Wine can ferment very slowly- your hydrometer might be right. What yeast did you use, and what was your recipe? (I know you've posted it before, but I can't remember) You might have had a very high s.g. to begin with.

Don't add sorbate until it's completely done. Check the s.g. weekly, it should still be coming down. The fermentation might not be stuck- it might be slow. If it's stuck, we can help you restart fermentation.

Lorena

lorenae said:
Wine can ferment very slowly- your hydrometer might be right. What yeast did you use, and what was your recipe? (I know you've posted it before, but I can't remember) You might have had a very high s.g. to begin with.

Don't add sorbate until it's completely done. Check the s.g. weekly, it should still be coming down. The fermentation might not be stuck- it might be slow. If it's stuck, we can help you restart fermentation.

Lorena

Well when i placed it in the secondary the next day, it was completly stopped, im not sure why, I added my sorbate and camden yesterday, the SG was probably still really high because i did add three pounds of sugar, one thing of orange juice, and about three poinds of bananas.

On a side note I just put pina colada mix, bananas, sugar, and some orange juice in a crock pot and let it boil for 5 hours straight to get all of the flavor out, the sg was only about 1.5 idk why thats pretty low.

What do you think about this? Also I tried the first banana wine and I think it taste great unsweetened.

homebrewer_99 said:
Check your number again...correct me if I'm wrong, but a hydrometer doesn't go up to 1.5...do you mean 1.050?;)

Um, nice catch! I didn't even see that. If your s.g. is still 1.050, you have a stuck fermentation, and if you sorbated it- it's done. It'll be an enjoyable drink, but may not have much alcohol in it (depending on your original s.g.). The ingredients you listed would not give you a very high s.g.

If you give more specific ingredients on your pina colada invention, we could tell you why the s.g. is only 1.050. Stir it up well, and test again. If it's still 1.050, you could add sugar dissolved in a little water to bring it up.

Lorena

Back