My geek programming skills may be useful!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pompeiisneaks

Why that human mask?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry this is a repost from a diff forum that got little attention, I wondered if it was because I put it in the wrong area... lemme try again here...:

I downloaded a boatload of beerxml files from a website called brew-monkey.com, I was thinking they'd be great for people to download and import into their app of choice that supports beerxml. I got permission from brew-monkey.com to upload them here so long as we credit his excellent work compiling this list. I basically coded a script to grab all the xml files into one file, then I split them out to a file per recipe. I just generically named them as recipe1.xml - recipe203.xml or whatever it was, a couple hundred recipe's. I also modified them w/ some form of the name from inside so I have them w/ filenames that match the beer as well... or the name someone gave it. Anyone interested? Is there a way we can post the zip files here for people to download?

It was a decent amount of really geeky fun work, but I'd like others to gain from my geekyness

What did you write the script in? It's funny how fun
the process of creating a little program is. Especially
when it's actually doing something very useful!

I'm always interested in organized hobby datas

so, just so i understand, your script splits the recipes into individual xml files and then we could do an xml import into beer alchemy or something like that? Interesting, geeky, but interesting

well I already ran the script, I now have a couple hundred xml files that can be imported into anything that supports beerxml... I don't know if any mods know if we can upload files here for download or not? If not, and anyones interested, I can probably just email them to you...

would like them also.Cant you just post them on a file hosting site and post link here.

edit 0202 beat me to it

I've gotten nothing from the BeerAlchemy developer, but I've been working on getting the missing ingredients in manually and importing them in manually, but 200 is a lot
so I'm working the a little a ta time, I think I have almost 20 now, 1/10th done! ;) Once I'm either fully done or I get some word from the dev, I'll post here. Then I'll just zip up the ingredients plists and export the BeerAlchemy db and give to any that want it.

I've gotten nothing from the BeerAlchemy developer, but I've been working on getting the missing ingredients in manually and importing them in manually, but 200 is a lot
so I'm working the a little a ta time, I think I have almost 20 now, 1/10th done! ;) Once I'm either fully done or I get some word from the dev, I'll post here. Then I'll just zip up the ingredients plists and export the BeerAlchemy db and give to any that want it.

If I remember back from when I worked with BeerXML files the ingredient info is stored in the XML file as well. Maybe its a limitation with BeerAlchemy to take the ingredients from the BeerXML file.

Oh and one other shortcoming w/ BeerAlchemy, the Mash profiles are very restrictive, so the imports I'm doing are w/o any mash schedules, you'd have to devise your own or get the xml files I have and manually find the data on the mash in them OR "import" the one you're looking to do into BeerAlchemy and see whta it says is the mash profile, then write it down, delete the import, and manually create one, its not easy, so I'm leaving it alone.

It seems to me most people seem to have their own preferred ways of mashing anyway, so I'd leave that to them... this is the ingredients to make the beers etc.

If you need any of these files hosted, email them to me and I will upload them to a fast server. I plan on keeping the domain for years to come so it should never be a problem. It's never down either. My connection tops out downloading from the server my website is on (1+ MBS).

[email protected] if you want me to host them. It will just be a download link. It won't be on my website or anything (still have not finished it anyway). Unlimited bandwith btw.

I've emailed two people now that have mentioned they can host it... I hope one will get back to me ;) I could host it too on my domain but its dog slow and if I got any interest in them it would just shut down my domain anyway :) So I didn't offer

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back