? about sparkling apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liah

Reaction score
I'd like to make the sparkling apple cider.
the part that stumps me is the bottle caps, oxygen absorbing?
I suppose they will blow if I use empty wine bottles I already have.

Or is there another recipe for hard apple cider that would be easy?

Just make it like any beer...ferment fully, wait for it to clear, then bottle with some priming sugar. Use beer bottles, wine bottles will blow their corks at best, blow up at worst.

Nothing easier then making apfelwien. Check out the thread below there isn't much to it. You can always use swing top bottles if you don't have a capper.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/

Oxygen absorbing caps have not really been proven to be a huge benefit. But if you already have them, no problems using them. And personally, while apfelwein is pretty fool proof, just simple cider is even easier I think it should be a necessary start into cider making. Just go with adding yeast to cider and wait. If you like it, or if you want to start something before its even done (you probably will be too excited) then start apfelwein.

ummm was exactally are you asking?

Your right in the fact that if you bottle in regular wine bottles they will either explode or they will blow there corks.

You should use beer bottles or champagne bottles and pime regular hard cider with sugar to provide your carbination.

What does any of this have to do with O2 absorbing caps... i mean if you bottle in beer bottles then simply use what caps are avaible at any LHBS or buy on line. Its not complicated, more often then not Apfelwine is not served sparkeling, it is prefered still. I prefer it sparkeling, and just do it like one does with beer.

It really is that simple, so im not sure what your question is.

cheers

To clarify a bit more what I was asking about

I consider "sparkling" apple cider to be fizzy like soda pop or champagne.
Hard apple cider is like wine.
I consider a still brew to be like wine.
Many of the wine bottles I have are used wine bottles with screw on caps,
these are what I was hoping to use, but from what I have read here, I am crushed! I was hoping to fill small wine bottle size bottles
let them age, and drink them.
Looking for the easy way to let my wine age for up to a year to taste the best. Do i just let it bulk age in the 5 to 6 gallon carboy that long? I have seven right now and access to a few more. But I plan on making many more recipies and types of wine and will need my carboys.
So my concern with "sparkling" was will my screw on caps hold up?
Or do I need a beer bottle capper? And beer bottles, which I have some of, and I have either a capper or a corker, which I haven't used. Sounds corny, I know. I have empty cases of wine bottles to use corks in, but just didn't want to fool around with either of that.
I'm bumbling in the dark here, my teacher passed on before he could help me very much with my new found hobby. Thats another story. He just put his wine into a carlo rossi one gallon plus bottles for storage. He made tasty wine. I have his recipies, but what I read here is a little different.

Oxygen absorbing caps I assumed were for carbonated brews. I don't have any or these.

I have made wine with juice and fresh fruit and frozen fruit.
I have stored these in my old used very clean and sterilized wine bottles with used screw on caps and so far they seem fine. One to two years so far. Sounds like they aren't really sealed as well as I thought they would be with the used caps. I see they sell new caps, if they fit, would they work? I live in an area where I don't have access to a large supply of winemaking supplies, but they are obtainable.
I'd appreciate your feedback on this, am I lucky, or is this a suitable storage for a year or two. I don't want to keep my wine a lifetime, just until its aged enough to be tasty and suitable for some gift giving! and casual sharing with family and friends.
I want to make apfelwien (sp), I bought 6 gals of apple juice today, sunday, and I have 5 gal. of apple cider for sparkling or hard cider.
I like the idea of carbonation. Sounds like you add more sugar at the end of brewing and cap, and it carbonates,
but what kind of caps?
not corks?
Also making garlic wine for marinades, smelly!
Monday, wine making day!

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my previous posts, and if I'm asking ? previously asked.
A huge "Thank You" to everyone for the info.

On a wine train to delight

A lot of questions! It sounds like you need to find some local support or maybe start your own wine making club. But to try to answer a few of your questions:

It's far better to bulk age in your carboys than to keep wine in bottles with used screw caps. I just don't understand how you've been able to keep wine in those bottles for a year and still have them drinkable. Even new screw caps don't prevent oxidation because they can't provide an airtight seal. If you're going to continue using them, for whatever reason, bulk age and then consume your bottled wine as quickly as possible, hopefully within two weeks. Are you using potassium metabisulfite or sorbate? How are you sterilizing your bottles and caps?

You're really out of luck trying to use screw caps with sparkling wine. As was noted earlier, they don't provide and airtight seal and all the cabonation will simply seep out of the cap. Even if you were to use corks in a regular wine bottle, your corks would pop or your bottles would explode.

Crown capped beer bottles (many sparkling wine bottles can be crown capped as well) or swing top bottles are the choice for sparkling wine or cider. Get yourself a book on wine making, buy an inexpensive corker and some corks, likewise an inexpensive crown capper and make some good wine and cider that will be stable and good to drink for a few years. Your methods may have been state-of-the-art 30 years ago but they've been improved upon considerably since then.

Back