FG safe to bottle at with carbination...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candlejack

Reaction score
Hey, a few weeks ago I posted how I was antsy to bottle some fruity honey beers. I still have some slight fermentation going and I havent taken any readings, (though I will tomorrow)

My question for you guys is, what final gravity is it safe to bottle at without priming and allow it to carbonate in the bottle (from the fermentation that is still taking place) Thank you in advance

You don't want to prime it for bottling? You should be good with that fg, I think my last batch was around 1.024? I don't remember exactly what the gravity was.
How come you're not priming?

Candlejack, to be able to do that you need to know exactly where the beer will finish at, then there is a # of gravity points above that you want to be at when you bottle. Can't remember what this is, though. Perhaps someone else will know or have a link.

Well I dont know how much more the yeast can handle to be honest. I used a pound and a half of honey and about a pound of liquid malt extract....and a can of fruit in light syrup (all that for a 1 gallon batch). I don't have an og reading for it, but it must have been way high.

Honey is about 95% fermentable and in 5 gal you should prolly use 4.7 ounces
But id bottle one 16 oz plastic soda bottle and put it in a trash bag incase it pops, and feel how hard it gets after a few days/weeks and go from there

This is what you do for next time. You do your normal carboy fermentation. Then you do a small satellite fermentation that is over pitched and kept warm. This should fully attenuate in rapid time. You take a gravity reading of that as your maximum attenuation. Now you know your upper attenuation limit of your carboy. The issue is that you need to be careful if you're picky about your carbonation level. You can end up low using this method because there's a chance your main fermentation won't go AS far as your forced fermentation test.

I bottle my saisons in a fashion sort of like this. I don't do a forced ferment but they are all brett spiked beers. Once they get down to about 1.005 or so I will bottle with priming sugar to between 3-3.5 volumes. Then the residual extract of the beer can continue to carbonate the beer via the brett. So I tend to end up between 3.5-4 vol of co2 in my bottles.

Hey, i used so much honey because i was trying to make a braggot as opposed to a honey beer i guess. also, i think honey is 86% fermentable

I really like the satellite fermentation idea. I'm going to give that a try next time.
I may do the plastic bottle this time around.

I wonder if the cider "pasturization technique" on the cider forums would work with malt and hops and stuff..

I'm kinda also thinking about cold crashing the bottles after about a week, but i dont want to keep them in the fridge.

Back