Dropped WL lid in starter flask :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewhite1217

Reaction score
I was making my second starter ever last night for an Imperial Nut Brown I want to brew this weekend. I shook my vial of yeast before opening and it really fizzed up, leaking out of the top. The pressure forced a fair amount of yeast cake into the lid. So, in my attempts to get every cell into my starter I decided to tap the lid against the rim of the flask. Of course the lid slipped and fell into the flask. I quickly got it out but am wondering if I should be concerned. I did notice a dark brown spot of mystery goo resting on top of the light brown krausen today. What are your thoughts? What should I be looking out for?

Same as above. Don't sweat it. Probably not a good practice to replicate, but you're fine. Let that brew ferment.. it's what it wants to do.

I was making my second starter ever last night for an Imperial Nut Brown I want to brew this weekend. I shook my vial of yeast before opening and it really fizzed up, leaking out of the top. The pressure forced a fair amount of yeast cake into the lid. So, in my attempts to get every cell into my starter I decided to tap the lid against the rim of the flask. Of course the lid slipped and fell into the flask. I quickly got it out but am wondering if I should be concerned. I did notice a dark brown spot of mystery goo resting on top of the light brown krausen today. What are your thoughts? What should I be looking out for?
Hey ewhite, I see you're in Columbia...that's right down the road from me.

I think you'll be fine with the starter. :D

If I can make a suggestion for next time, crack the lid on the vial first to release pressure, them you can shake it. This way it won't spray everywhere.

:mug:

Back