Sparging 45 min vs 30 = BE% gain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LS_Grimmy

Reaction score
Howdy,

My efficiency has been around 65-68% so I have decided to sparge for 45 min instead of the usual 20-30 min. I'm in the middle of the sparge right now and I was wondering if I can expect some gain on my brew house efficiency? If so how much do you think?

Grimmy

If you're batch sparging, I wouldn't think you'd get any better efficiency, but of course I could be wrong about that.
If you're fly sparging, you could get a few percent extra, and if you extended it to 60 - 90 minutes, you could get yet another few percent. However, long sparges with low gravity do tend to oversparge. (I'm talking about 90 minute fly sparges to get a gravity < 1.040 into the kettle.)

-a.

Edit - Changed 1.050 to 1.040 (typo)

Ya i do the good old fly sparge but ill have to give the batch sparge a go. Let ya know how this one turns out although I did change my crush also. We will see how the % BE turns out in about 1 hour :)

Bobby_M said:
If you're trying to save time sparging and you're not happy with less than 70%, go for batch sparging.

+1, I tried the whole fly sparging thing to no avail, but batch sparging is just plain easy! I tend to get about 70-75% efficiency..

Wait, what is your recipe, or in other words, how much grain are we talking here? Slower, controlled sparges will get better yields, but there can be a cost. I think the main thing is to settle into a set routine a STAY there. I think if you hit the 70s you can be happy and secure. These 95% yields scare me, I worry about all the EXTRAS iI am pulling along...

I am a fly guy and I like it. Gives me more time to drink!

Good thread. Anxious to see more replies.

.....Let me Explain. I just recently jumped from 62% Efficiency up to 78%, in one Brew Session. The different parameters were that I used a PH Balancer(With House water through a filter instead of Poland Spring), I used my new JSP AA Malt Mill(Been using my buddy's, who has been getting 83% from his), AND I SLOWED down my Batch sparge to about 1 quart every 4 minutes. I am anxious to brew this weekend as many here say that a slower batch sparge doesn't do anything to your Efficiancy numbers. Well, we'll find out this weekend as I wil do the same, take more meticulous Notes, and brew the same Batch the following weekend but I will let the Batch Sparge rip versus 1 quart every 4 minutes.

I really enjoy fly sparging and if you are going to fly sparge then you need to "slip it on as you slip it out"* I am so used to bigger batches and so longer times that I can not remember the targets of ounces per minute anymore. I will look it up and let you know.

*Greg Noonan of Brewing Lager Beer Fame in a conversation over a keg of Anchor Old FogHorn at the 1990 GABF hotel balcony post party.

RLinNH said:
Good thread. Anxious to see more replies.

.....Let me Explain. I just recently jumped from 62% Efficiency up to 78%, in one Brew Session. The different parameters were that I used a PH Balancer(With House water through a filter instead of Poland Spring), I used my new JSP AA Malt Mill(Been using my buddy's, who has been getting 83% from his), AND I SLOWED down my Batch sparge to about 1 quart every 4 minutes. I am anxious to brew this weekend as many here say that a slower batch sparge doesn't do anything to your Efficiancy numbers. Well, we'll find out this weekend as I wil do the same, take more meticulous Notes, and brew the same Batch the following weekend but I will let the Batch Sparge rip versus 1 quart every 4 minutes.

Great comments. The factors (ph and so forth) all play a huge role in sparge yields. If you want control you need to know your numbers.

One thing I did do was adjust my crush to hopefully get to a BE% 70. I think my crush wasn't fine enough before so that should help. Again see in 30 min

LS_Grimmy said:
sounds good to me... does it automatically! Yeah :). I'll order some when the wife ain't looking

That's the stuff I used when I got my 16% jump in Efficiency. Granted, it was only one of the 3 different things I did that day, But I do think that it played a HUGE Role.

This is what im making:

Pale malt 2 row 7lbs
Crystal 45 1lb
carapils .5lbs
Victory .25 lbs

Goldings EK 60 .8 oz
Goldings EK 30 .5 oz
Goldings EK 1 .5 oz
Goldings EK Dry hop .25oz

The best thing you are doing is paying attention. There are so many variables and the more you can do to control each of them, the better you will be.

I am sure the brew will be amazing. Send me a bottle!

I batch sparge, since I don't do this for a living. I've seen a slight decrease in efficiency, but my FG is 1.018 or higher.
I may be not leaching out tannins as much as if would do a fly and get to 1.010 or less.
Ichiban supposedely does this.
Make the best beer you can regardless of efficiency. Not much money involved when you're doing AG.

After 18 All Grains I finally went for a 54% - 58% to a 76+%.

I now used the 5.2 PH stabilizer, went from 60 to 90 min. mash time.
Bought a water filter and used my house hard water, instead of using bottle spring water (sill use some for lite pilsners).
Added grains to water instead of the other way.
Bought my own grain mill "Barley Crusher" and adjusted it to .032.
I batch sparge with a mash out and now use equal sparge rinses.
I use a Gott 10 gal cooler w/ Stainless Steel braid (home made)
I showed down my sparge time it usually takes 20 min to drain my first running.

I now boil for 70 to 80 minutes and make sure the hot break is completed before adding the hops and starting my regular 60 min boil.
Boil @8.25 gallons down to 7.5 before adding hops the drain off @ 5.5 gallons into carboy.

I can't point to any one thing but I'm slowly keep getting better efficiency numbers.

Don

I highly recommend making only one change at a time when adjusting your system or process. That way you will know what does make a difference and by how much. In terms of slower batch sparging increasing efficiency it should to the extent you don't give your grain bed enough time to fully drain before adding the next sparge. The trade-off is in time vs a small amount of extra grain. As far as 5.2 affecting your efficiency it could if your mash pH is so far off the enzymes are working poorly. If you are checking your mash pH or for starch conversion you will know if you need to adjust your water. I have moderately hard water and only use it (and only at 0.25 the recommended amount) for very light lagers, everything else has enough dark grains to drive the pH down into an effective range for mashing.

GT

Hey fellas,

Well the good corporal hit 70% with todays brew. So I increased it from my last brew of 66% to 70%. I'll be happy if I can maintain that 70% for my next brews for sure. Gunna look into all your suggestions for sure and I appreciate the support.

Thanks fellas,
Grimmy

Also, are you checking for conversion? If you aren't getting full conversion, then a longer mash can do you some good. You are already getting full conversion, though, keep working on all the other great tips you received above.

TL

Back