Need help with an IPA on a budget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
So I've got a bunch of chinook, and I'm low on cash.. So here's what I was thinking for a PM recipe:

1 lb. Crystal 40L
3 lb. 2 Row
6 lb. Pilsner LME

1 oz Chinook (60 min)
1 oz Chinook (15 min)
1 oz Chinook (0 min)
2 oz Chinook (dry hop)

Safale S-04, ferment low (~65)

I'd like suggestions for how to improve it.. I don't mind buying maybe an oz of a different kind of hop, but that's about the extent of my budget. Also, I'm not really sure on the yeast choice.. I need to use dry yeast to keep the cost down, and I want it to flocculate, which S-05 doesn't.

It looks fine, personally I like the smell of cascade and would consider an ounce at 0min or dry hopping. If you have it available 1 pound of wheat DME would add a nice balance, or if looking for a bit more of a bite consider a bit of rye in the grain bill.

If you are low on cash and your set up can handle more grain you can swap out some LME for some more 2-row. That can help save a bit. With a 5 gallon pot I have been able to mash 7 lbs of grain. Thats what I do for budget brews anyway. I think what you got going on in your recipe will give you good results, you can almost never go wrong with cascade as a dry hop, but money talks.

At a glance the recipe looks fine. As for the yeast, you'll come out better ie with a cleaner brew using Nottingham dry yeast over S-04 which can get estery. It's super flocculant and cheaper than S-04! Fantastically clean yeast when temps are kept low.

You can throw in a cup or 2 of oatmeal into your mini-mash for body, & 4 oz. Special Roast or 4-6 oz of Victory to give the malt bill some complexity. Perhaps use 6 oz. Crystal 120 & 6 oz Crystal 40 for more complexity. Just throwing these out as ideas plus I'm a huge fan of 4-6 oz. of Victory/Biscuit malt in my IPA/APAs.

Schlante & Good Luck,
Phillip

I like the idea of using a lot of chinooks. I had an Arrogant Bastard the other day for research purposes.

I have a similiar recipe planned, combining chinook with nugget hops. I second adding a little complexity to the grain bill though, maybe some munich subbed for 2 row?

I'd cut back on the crystal and swap out S-04 (use notty like MVKTR2 said), since both of these things are going to take away from your hops. If you can cut out more of the LME for more grains, def do that too.

Back