Corny Kegs: o-rings and cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever

Reaction score
So I scored six pin lock kegs last night and I was wondering are the o-rings the same as on a ball lock? Also can you use Oxiclean instead of PBW? The ones I have are still full of soda so I would imagine that the insides are not real dirty.

Not sure about the o-rings. I think the one for the lid is the same but the others are not... Agian, I'm not sure, all I have is ball lock.

I don't use the PBW, all I use is Oxiclean.

I don't believe they are the same. Most suppliers have different kits for pin vs. ball. I only have ball kegs, so I haven't looked into it deeply.

When i pick up old soda kegs, i just replace all the o-rings. Anything that isn't stainless that has come into contact with soda is worth replacing and its cheap.

Here is one example of a replacement kit. I'm sure there are many out there. Its the "Used Keg Seal Kit"

It looks like the rings are the same. I cannot find any site that references a set of rings for the pin lock vs the ball lock. I think I shall just order some ring kits and see what happens. Thanks for the advice and links.

The O rings you need are cheap and available at McMaster Carr.
There is a small difference between the pin and ball locks.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
ball lock post: 9452K23
pin lock post: 9452K24
Lid for either: 9452K218
dip tube for either: 9452K172

Alemental said:
The O rings you need are cheap and available at McMaster Carr.
There is a small difference between the pin and ball locks.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
ball lock post: 9452K23
pin lock post: 9452K24
Lid for either: 9452K218
dip tube for either: 9452K172

Looks like the o-ring for the post needs to be 1/16" bigger. That leads me to think the ball lock posts rubber should work since the difference is so small. Thanks for the info Alemental.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. The #111 ones will work "sorta" on the pinlock posts. I've had 2 out of 5 liquid disconnects leak on me though if you give it a slight wiggle because of that slightly lesser diameter. I later bought a bunch of silicone #112 rings and you can feel that nice resistence as the disconnect slides on. I'm much more confident I'm not losing any gas now.

thanks Bobby, I was wondering about that, since you are stretching that rign out it will reduce the width a little. Mcmaster sells those in packs of 100, I wonder if I can find them locally.

fork it, I just ordered all the rings from Mcmaster, it will be cheaper than ordering 6 ring kits and hoping some don't link. I guess I will have a few extra 112 o-rings now.

Thanks for all the help.

I want to buy some silicone O rings for all my kegs... I cannot find a Dash 112 in the silicone, only the Dash 111 for the ball lock, will this work?? Here is the part number...

Lid 9396K926
Ball Lock 9396K24
Post 9396K74

Back