1 Gallon Recipe Critiques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duff34

Reaction score
I've already done basic extra hoppy IPA's and now I want to create lighter and fruitier IPA's that are crisp on the pallet and really let the hops shine. I hopburst in all my recipes to avoid the typical bitterness in IPA's as I prefer in your face hop flavor/aroma minus the puckering bitterness.

With that being said, here are the latest 1-gallon IPA recipes I plan on brewing this weekend. Please let me know if there is anything I should or you would change/add as I'm still somewhat new to brewing and open to suggestions to learn as much as possible. Also, let me know of your experiences w/these hops.

I find w/fruitier IPA's it's best to use the lightest malt extract as creates the best malt canvas to really let the hops be the main feature. So, for both i'm using the same base. Here they are:

Simcoe/Galaxy IPA: (passionfruit, melon, citrusy, slight pine)

2lbs extra light extract
2oz Carapils
IBU: 60-ish
ABV: 5.9%

Simcoe - 0.25oz 20min
Galaxy - 0.25oz 10min
Galaxy - 0.25oz 5min
Galaxy - 0.25oz 0min/Whirlpool
Galaxy - 0.25oz Dry hop 7 Days
Simcoe - 0.13oz Dry Hop 7 Days

Citra/El Dorado IPA (watermelon, passionfruit, pear)

2lbs extra light extract
2oz Carapils
IBU: 60-ish
ABV: 5.9%

Citra - 0.25oz 20min
El Dorado - 0.25oz 10min
El Dorado - 0.25oz 5min
El Dorado - 0.25oz 0min/Whirlpool
El Dorado - 0.25oz Dry hop 7 Days
Citra - 0.13oz Dry Hop 7 Days

1 gallon batches seem like a lot of work for only 10 bottles.

Hopping seems pretty good.

How do you figure out 5.9% abv? 2 lbs of LME would get you a 1.072 OG, giving you a 7%+ beer.

I like my IPAs a little drier, so I add some table sugar. About 1 pound in a 7 gallon batch. You could try adding 2 or 3 ounces of sugar (or replacing some extract with it). Sugar is completely fermentable; on it's own it will ferment lower than 1.000, so it actually reduces the FG of any beer it is added to.

The calculations came out to 5.9% because pre-boil volume is 1.75 gal and batch size ends up being 1.25 gal or a little less after boil. I preferred to go a little extra on pre-boil to account for sludge on bottom of primary fermenter before racking so I don't have to add water to get a full gallon in secondary. 1 gallon batches are actually quite easy and not really all that much work. I'm mainly doing them to experiment with different IPA recipes to find out what works best and what I like best before brewing 5 gallon batches of them.

The calculations came out to 5.9% because pre-boil volume is 1.75 gal and batch size ends up being 1.25 gal or a little less after boil.

That explains it. 6x1.25/1.0 = 7.5

My test batches are 3 gallons. I can get a full boil on the stove, and like you, I add all the hops late to reduce boil times.

Question bump?
Can anyone tell me if this is DME OR LME, really wanna brew this since I got some galaxy hops waiting to be brewed! Thanks in advance.

Back