Flat taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgrivois

Reaction score
Ive kegged a couple of different beers, but all seem to have a flat taste, but they dont feel flat, and there are plenty of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. I generaly force carb at 30psi 34deg for 36hours, then blead pressure and reduce to 10-12psi to serve.

Figured I would bump this to the top. Still having the same issues. All my beers seem to have the same after taste. Kind of dry or flat. First all grain was BIAB, have since gone to a cooler mash tun, still have the same taste. I have never tested the PH of the mash, but the only thing in common with all of the beers is the water used, and Im carbing with CO2 from my local sports store, paintball. I did check ph of water out of the tap and if I remeber it was 6.9 Im getting close to going back to extract, or just dumping this whole home brew deal.

Not sure what you mean by flat taste. Do you use a filter? Do you add campden tablets to remove chlorine and cloramine? These are easy fixes to try first. They can make a large difference in quality right off the bat.

You might want to get a water profile done, or get some details about your water from your local water department. Once you get your profile you can work on water additions and/or acid malt additions to get your pH down and adjust anything that's out-of-wack in your water. There are several good programs that will walk you through the process. I use EZ-Water.

Don't give up yet. I've been doing AG for 2.5 years and I'm still trying to figure everything out.

Ive done nothing with the water, comes straight out of the hose into the pot. Flat / Dry is the best way I know how to expain it. Im horrible at trying to explains taste. Beer doesnt feel flat, but kind of taste like it is. Does have a dry feel to it as well.

What about using ph stabilizer. Again Ive never measured the ph of my mash, but its kind of late at mash time to find out ph is off.

Without a water profile it's tough to get your water perfect.

However, I'd recommend trying an RV filter in-line with your hose. You might want to look for a hose rated for drinking water too. Add a crushed campden tablet to your mash/sparge water too. It will remove chlorine.

In addition, try adding some acid malt to your next batch. As long as you keep it below 2% of your grain bill it won't impact the taste of your beer. It will help bring your pH down.

Not a perfect solution, but it might help.

Latest posts

Back