2 wyeast activator packs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlapjackAM

Reaction score
Hello. Quick question; when I get back from vacation I'm brewing a Ferocious IPA kit from Midwest, which came with one package of liquid yeast. From what I've read that may not be enough, especially since I need to get some basics for making a yeast starter. Tried to find what the OG was supposed to be but just says 'high'. SO. Should I pitch two of the smack packs for a better pitch rate?

If you can't make a starter then yes but depending on the date in the pack you will still probably be under pitching.

6 lbs gold liquid extract
3.3 lbs amber liquid extract
4 oz crystal 50-60L
1 oz. warrior
2 oz amarillo
2 oz simcoe
1 oz ahtanum

bennie1986 said:
Your OG should be about 1.066. What's the date on the yeast?

I wish I could say, it's about 2000 miles away right now. I know that's a big factor. I got it in the mail about a week and a half ago, it's in the fridge.

You want about 300 billion cells for that OG. You would need three one day old packets to pitch correctly.

Wow. Well may not all be a day old but even so it will be way closer to the correct rate than what I've been doing. Appreciate the help. Ill get three for this batch and get a starter setup when I get paid.

FlapjackAM said:
Wow. Well May not all be a day old but even so it will be way closer to the correct rate than what I've been doing. Appreciate the help. Ill get three for this batch and get a starter setup when I get paid.

Lol ya I doubt any that you get will be anywhere close but that was just an example. I would maybe save the liquid yeast for the next brew when you can do a starter and sub in a dry yeast.

Here is a link to the yeast calc I use http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Oh and if you have never used a blow off tube you will quickly learn that pitching the correct amount of yeast will cause you to need one, I learned the hard way lol!

Back