My finger is super stinky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape Brewing

DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I built this apple press that I'm actually pretty proud of (see below).

So I'm out there Saturday night, havin' a be'ah and then another... cuttin' up apples and tossin' em through the garbage disposal (TRE-MEN-DOUS idea I stole off the interwebs... works PISSA).

... when sure enough... ZZZZIP..

I take off the entire pad ("finger print area") on my left middle finger. I mean... I cut the FUGGGGG outta it.

Of course, I'm in the house solo and the SWMBO is out with the cherubs so I'm standing in the garage shooting blood going, "SHT!!!! Did I get any blood on the apples!?!?!". (luckily I didn't)

Luckily the big chunk of finger is still attached.. by... I'm not kidding... less than a 1/16th of an inch sliver... so I slap that bad boy back on the finger and crunch down a bigass bandaid as tight as I can cause I'm thinking, "eff this... I'm not sitting in an emergency room for like four hours"

And...

went back to pressing apples.

Well... it stopped bleeding yesterday, which is sweet.

Only a TINY bit of it has turned black but it is really stinky. Not like, good-God-who-just-got-in-the-elevator! stinky... but more like when-i-hold-it-up-to-my-nose-I-smell-a-smell-I've-never-smelled-my-body-give-off-before stinky.

That's not bad is it??

PS... why... what did you think it was stinky from?

press 1.JPG

press 2.JPG

Damn now that sounds like a rough night! But you stuck it out and got those apples pressed! I mean who after a night of heavy drinking hasn't woken up with at least one stinky finger. But yours smells like something died? Maybe there is an infection or some dead flesh in there? If you can find some leeches I think those will usually take out any dead parts. Or maggots but that is kind of nasty.

Oh I forgot about using maggots, that always works. Be sure to take some pictures for us....

I'd be willing to bet that the tip of your finger is either infected or died and that's why it smells so bad. Go to the doctor.

Right on! Just google "do it yourself home treatment for gangrene", there's a number of ideas out there. One advertises FREE urine treatment for gangrene!

That is an awesome apple press. Can I borrow it next year?

BAM!!!! SEE!??!? I TOLD people I would totally pull chics with that press and NO ONE believed me!!!

Thank you and sure. Although I think the commute is a little tough for you.

I pressed eight gallons the other night... the whole "Ewwww I'm light-headed from loss of blood excuse" or I would have done more.... and then I have another 15 gallons or so scheduled with a couple guys on Saturday. I'm pretty happy with it.

Tellin' you though... the whole "garbage disposal table" trick is the most kick-ass though. That's really nice instead of a regular grinder. It is super fast and it doesn't turn the apples into goo like I kinda though it would. It turns them into the perect consistancy pulp for pressing.

Right on! Just google "do it yourself home treatment for gangrene", there's a number of ideas out there. One advertises FREE urine treatment for gangrene!

I have my Tuesday night Ping Pong league at The Cape (my bah) tonight and I'm not missing that so I will likely just soak it in scotch.

It doesn't hurt... and while it looks gross, I just googled gangrene and it doesn't look ANYTHING like that...

I am chalking the stinkyness up to being bandaged too many consecutive hours.

It'll be fiiiiiiiine.

Tellin' you though... the whole "garbage disposal table" trick is the most kick-ass though. That's really nice instead of a regular grinder. It is super fast and it doesn't turn the apples into goo like I kinda though it would. It turns them into the perect consistancy pulp for pressing.

yeah, the garbage disposal trick kicks ass, but next time leave the finger bits out because that might freak out any vegetarians.

Oh, and put some antibiotic ointment on the finger. If it turns red at all, or you get a pink line, or if it starts to swell or throb, get to the ER immediately. I mean it.

. If it turns red at all, or you get a pink line, or if it starts to swell or throb, get to the ER immediately. I mean it.

I know... trust me... in all seriousness... those are signs I'm lookin' for and it's been dipped in antibiotic ointment every couple of hours and wrapped up in clean bandaids. It's fine. It any of those signs show up, I'm heading to the doctors.

I was just bored, was cleaning it, it smelled terrible (it really does) and thought it would be a funny thread... plus I could show off my new press!!

Best cure for a stinky finger is to soak it in cider. Or is that the number one cause... I can never keep these things straight.

Hey I sliced through half of my thumb cutting jalapeños for Super Bowl chili earlier this year. Cut right through the nail and everything, it hurt like a *****. Anyway I had the same thought as you - screw waiting in a hospital and missing the game, I'll just slap a band aid on it and get drunk.

Well same thing happened - that bandaid stunk to high heaven but I just changed it everyday, ran hot water over the wound and put a new one on. I'm betting my thumb has healed better than had I gone for expert attention.

You'll be fine. Congrats on being a man.

So you are using a solely purposed, clean garbage disposal as a juicer? Sweet!

yes sir.

It is epic.

I was searching the interwebs for grinder designs when I was making the press and everyone has these wooden drums with stainless steel screws in them, that you crank and it chips away at the apples. That's nice (seriously... some of them were really cool looking) but I'm way too lazy for that.

I then saw a link that said something like, "don't know why everyone doesn't grind apples this way" and it showed a guy who mounted a steel mixing bowl on a little wooden table, with a hole cut it in and a freakin' garbage disposal mounted underneath.

SOLD

Garbage disposal = $89
table = scrap wood i had in my garage
mixing bowl = Whoooooops, sorry SWMBO
switch and misc elect. = spare stuff I had laying around my garage.

for $89 the thing is badass.

I just googled gangrene and it doesn't look ANYTHING like that...
Great now I had to search that too ...
sick1.gif
I think those are mostly gangrene from frostbite that might look a little different. Though the relatively large number of photos of gangrene on the bottom of the scrotum are concerning to say the least. Definitely not a good idea to use the snowblower while drunk I'm guessing!

Hey I sliced through half of my thumb cutting jalapeños for Super Bowl chili earlier this year. Cut right through the nail and everything, it hurt like a *****. Anyway I had the same thought as you - screw waiting in a hospital and missing the game, I'll just slap a band aid on it and get drunk.

Well same thing happened - that bandaid stunk to high heaven but I just changed it everyday, ran hot water over the wound and put a new one on. I'm betting my thumb has healed better than had I gone for expert attention.

You'll be fine. Congrats on being a man.

SEE?!?! That's the type of encouragement and support I have come to cherish from my fellow HBT members.

STINKY FINGERS UNITE!!!

:mug:

Yessir. It happens. Here are 2 of my good ones. The one on the back of my hand got around 8-9 stitches and just barely missed some tendons. The one on my thumb was a dirty cut from a 55 gallon drum. I cleaned that one and squeezed it to help the blood put any trash out. Still alive.

image-3383645821.jpg

image-2162763214.jpg

The cool thing with this cut is that my finger-print on that finger is now rotated about 15 degrees clockwise.

Just think, one simple apple pressing injury and I practically have a whole new identity.

I should be a fuggin' spy now.

I could totally be a spy. That would be cool.

Probably would have been a good idea to remove the chunk of skin originally being that it was barely hanging on anyway and is most likely dying now producing the smell...

Just spray some febreeze on it. That will also help with the spying, because a spy who smells like rotting flesh is going to attract unneeded attention ...

Smelling dead already will keep the zombies from attacking! Don't clean it up, you will regret it!!

Best cure for a stinky finger is to soak it in cider. Or is that the number one cause... I can never keep these things straight.

No, the number one cause of stinky finger is going to bed with an itchy butt. Everybody knows that!

Back