my water test results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twallin

Reaction score
I am to get into advance brewing. I brew AG with a 3 vessel E-herms. I normally use water from the store, but I am tired of the hassle. I just got my test back from ward, is my water usable or should I stick to store water?
PH 8.1
Sodium 2 ppm
Potassium 1 ppm
Calcium 15 ppm
Magnesium 5 ppm
Nitrate .3 ppm
Sulfate 2 ppm
Chloride 3 ppm
Carbonate 6 ppm
Bicarbonate 66 pp
Alkalinity as CaCO3 64
Total Phosphorous .30
Iron not detected

I plugged your water into beersmith and ran it against a water style i have for pale ales and it looks like you would need to add 23.4g gypsum. 7.0g Epsom salt and 1.7g table salt. I would say your water is very usable but it need some conditioning

That water is great. You should be adding minerals to boost calcium and your choice of either chloride or sulfate to suit your beer. Store water is definitely not needed. A touch of acid may be needed to reduce the alkalinity for some brews. A little more alkalinity may be needed for more acidic grists.

>> 1.5g table salt

I disagree. You NEVER want to add Iodine to your mash, it's toxic to yeast.
If you are going to add NaCl make sure there is no Iodine.

Also, with just 3 ppm Chloride, I suggest adding some Calcium Chloride, say 5 grams.
I also think you need less Magnesium Sulphate.

8.1 Ph is a bit high, maybe some Lactic Acid (or Phosphoric Acid or Acid Malt) for Pale Ales/IPAs.

Thanks for the quick responses. When you tell me to add something is the quantity per gallon, per 5 gallons? I ordered a PH meter, a nice one. I also downloaded EZ water calculator. I am excited to open up a new challenge in brewing.

I agree with ArcLight, .5 - 1 tsp (roughly 2 - 4 grams) CaCL and 2% acidmalt (for the light beers) and call it good! Get a PH tester and you can dial in your PH exactly to where you want.

Back