Last nights brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had planned on doing this three weeks ago in hopes that a wheat would be ready by Thanksgiving, but other stuff got in the way. Would be nice if this will still make that date. Any chance? OG was kind of high. Any thought on the recipe?

Dark Honey Wheat

6.6lb Wheat LME
3.3lb Amber LME
1 lb Orange Blossom Honey
8 Oz Carapils
8 Oz Caramel 40L
2 Oz Tettnanger Hops
1/4 oz Sweet Orange Peel
Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat Liquid Yeast

6 1/2-Gallon Glass Primary

Steep grains in 1 ½ gal distilled water @ 155 dgrs for 40 min

60 minute boil:
amber LME before start
1 oz hops @ start
½ oz hops @ 30 min
½ oz hops and orange peel w/ 5 min to go

Flame out at 60 minutes
Add wheat LME and honey / Stir Well
Let stand covered for 10 minutes
Cool pot in ice bath
Pour onto 3 gallons chilled distilled water
Top to 5 gallons
Original Gravity 1.074
Aerate w/ Oxynator 2 x 20 seconds
Yeast pitched at 66 degrees
Ferment @ 64-68 degrees

Thanks for moving this. My first thought was to get some input from the Extract Forum brewers, but then realized it should have gone here in Recipes. :drunk:

(Sorry for the self promoting bump! :D )

If you keg you should be able to drink by Thanksgiving. If you bottle probably not.

I doubt it. Two weeks for a 1.074? MAYBE if you had made a small beer, but not something that big.

Beerrific wrote:
If you keg you should be able to drink by Thanksgiving. If you bottle probably not.

david 42 wrote:
I doubt it. Two weeks for a 1.074? MAYBE if you had made a small beer, but not something that big.

There was airlock activity after 5 hours, but this will be the first time I used the Wyeast 3056 and I don't know if it finishes fast or slow. I use 2 1/2 gallon cornies and the plan was to keg half for Thanksgiving and bottle half for conditioning. But, as David says, even for a wheat, it may be too big. There's always Christmas :)

Any thoughts if the one pound of honey and late addition will add some flavor? How it will combine with the other ingredients?

This one didn't make it for Thanksgiving. I let it sit until last night and racked it directly into two 2.5 gallon kegs. One will be conditioning until Christmas, the other is under pressure carbonating. This was easily my best tasting sample so far. A nice banana aroma with hints of orange. I don't know enough to know where these characteristics are coming from or if they are correct, but I think this will be a good beer.

anoldur said:
This one didn't make it for Thanksgiving. I let it sit until last night and racked it directly into two 2.5 gallon kegs. One will be conditioning until Christmas, the other is under pressure carbonating. This was easily my best tasting sample so far. A nice banana aroma with hints of orange. I don't know enough to know where these characteristics are coming from or if they are correct, but I think this will be a good beer.

Sounds quite appropriate for a Weiss. The Banana comes from the wheat and yeast and the orange from the honey and peel. Sounds like a really good beer, you're making me thirsty!

Latest posts

Back