BIAB mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recon1172

Reaction score
Today I brewed my second BIAB hefe. As I was pulling the bag it slipped back into my pot from about a foot and a half above the pot. Down goes the grain, up comes the wort. It splashed across my shirt and down my pants and all over the concrete floor of my basement. In my panic of potential burns, I started trying to scramble back. Man, wort is slippery. Now I'm waving my hands and doing an ice dance trying to keep my feet. As I'm doing this, I have a flash of me knocking over 6 gallons of steaming wort and it rolling over me as I'm flat on my back. Luckily, my dog-like reflexes kicks in and I didn't go down or knock the pot over. I know they were dog-like cause if my cat-like reflexes would have kicked in I would have caught the bag before it hit the wort!

Anyway, I squeezed the bag extra hard and rinsed the grains with some water to make my preboil volume.

I might have to come up with something catchy to call this brew. It suppose to be a Blood Orange Hefe.

I always squeeze the crap out of the bag.

OP: you may want to invest in a pulley to hold the grain bag.

I use a basket and pulley so just hang it over the wort while I do other things then tamp it down real good before moving it out of the way to start the boil. But yeah squeeze it like mad. :)

I used a pulley last time but the pulley was 1/4 inch and the cord was 1/8 inch. It worked a bit and then jumped the pulley and got stuck. I never went out and got the right stuff. I ended up hitting just shy of my OG. I was suppose to hit 1.066 and I hit 1.063. Then added the 1/2 gallon of oranges and water and it went down to 1.054. Next time I'll adjust it so the addition brings me to 5 gallons instead.

I used a pulley last time but the pulley was 1/4 inch and the cord was 1/8 inch. It worked a bit and then jumped the pulley and got stuck. I never went out and got the right stuff. I ended up hitting just shy of my OG. I was suppose to hit 1.066 and I hit 1.063. Then added the 1/2 gallon of oranges and water and it went down to 1.054. Next time I'll adjust it so the addition brings me to 5 gallons instead.

I did my first without a pulley and it was a PITA! Since then I got a rope and pulley and an insert for my brew pot in which I can clamp the bag onto. Much easier to brew now.

In lieu of a pulley I just pull out the bag and put it on top of a baking sheet with holes in it or a cooling tray to let it drain, and then I squeeze.

Latest posts

Back