Saaz Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

Quick question.....I've got some Czech Saaz hops laying around, are they strictly a pilsner & lager hop, or could they be added to other styles? If so, what styles?

I would say... you can use any hop... in any beer... in any way you see fit. If I had a bunch layin' around, I'd huck 'em in whatever I was brewin'.

Ahhh... the beauty of homebrewin'... You can do whatever the heck you want. :)

Gary

Here's an interesting one. I had a bunch of hops in the freezer & was brewing my 1st batch of my Sunset Gold APA. I decided on 1oz each of US Perle & Czech Saaz. The one ounce Perle @ 20 minutes,Saaz at 10 minutes. It came out with a smooth spicy flavor,& that piny thing from the Saaz was changed to a nondescript citrus flavor.
So yeah,Saaz can work in a pale ale anyway.

I like to sometimes blend British, Continental and US hops in hoppy ales... makes for an interesting beer

I did a Saaz hops addition to my Cream Ale this past weekend at 10 mins... Wanted to do a Pseudo lager type thing...

I've got a SaazRachi (saaz and Sorachi Ace) kolsch cold crashed for a week in the garage. It may be jumping the gun (a month primary prior to crash), but I'm poly-clarring it tonight and bottling later in the week. The gravity sample tasted good.

Back