GE 7.0 cu. ft., (2) 6.5g carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishkid

Reaction score
I'm looking at the GE 7.0 cu. ft. chest freezer, specifically model FCM7SUWW. I've found plenty of information on the forums regarding the number of kegs it'll fit and combinations of fermenters, e.g. (1) 6.5g carboy and (1) 6g carboy but I never came across a definite answer about (2) 6.5g carboys and whether or not they'll fit on the floor.

Can anyone with this model verify whether or not you can fit two 6.5g carboys on the floor of the freezer?

Thanks in advance, :mug:

Curt

I have this freezer. Got it from Home Depot a few months ago.

It's packed with corny kegs and hoses right now so it's difficult to get an exact measurement... but the interior (not counting the compressor hump section) is roughly 23" x 15". My 6.5 gal carboy has an approx. diameter of 11". So two 6.5 gal. carboys should fit.

I would suggest making some cardboard cutouts the same diameter as your carboys and see if they fit inside this freezer before purchasing.

Did this fit? I have one 6.5 gallon carboy and a 7cuft freezer. It looks like a second one will fit witha quarter inch to spare. Am I correct?

I have the same one and I can put two buckets or two 6 gallon better bottles, I don't have any 6.5gal carboys so I don't know the dimensions, the buckets are 12" in diameter.

I ended up buying this freezer before I know the answer to my question and I didn't yet have the carboys to test with. Anyhow...yes they fit. I have two 6.5g italian glass carboys and they fit oh so perfectly, might be even less than 1/4 in between them.

I'll post a picture in a few.

Curt

Ok, here we are. This was actually the first time I put the 2 carboys in while they were full. It appears the floor dips towards the center a bit (or my carboys don't sit straight), the carboys touch each other at the top but there's about 1/4" gap between them at the bottom. Perfect fit.

6.5gGE7.0.jpg

Curt

Sweet! That's what I like to hear! How do you get them in and out? I have sort of a saddle for my carboy, it probably wouldn't work in this tight fit. Is a handle safe to use?

I'm thinking about picking up a couple of those carboy haulers..for the time being I'm just strong man'n them over the side, lots of groaning involved :drunk:

I'm not sure I'd trust the handles, these carboys are heavy when full.

I'm planning on getting a freezer for fermentation soon. This looks like a good choice, or maybe one slightly larger so that I can put a bucket on the compressor hump also.

Definitely do not trust a carboy handle for a full carboy. Picking one up full by the top puts the glass under tension, which is something that glass does not handle well. A carboy hauler is the best way to go as it supports underneath the glass.

Ok, here we are. This was actually the first time I put the 2 carboys in while they were full. It appears the floor dips towards the center a bit (or my carboys don't sit straight), the carboys touch each other at the top but there's about 1/4" gap between them at the bottom. Perfect fit.

6.5gGE7.0.jpg

Curt

Does the lid close with the airlocks on or do you need a collar?

Closes fine with airlocks, no collar.

WOW! Talk about a fast response.. even if it is a thread from the dead. Thank you! Gonna pick one of these up. Lagers here I come. Any suggestion for a dual stage controller?

I use a Ranco dual stage, bought it pre-wired from morebeer.com.

It's perfect at what it does...wish I had a second one. :mug:

Curt

I have the GE 7.0cu.ft. freezer and I built my own temp controller. I just followed the aquarium temp controller thread and it was easy. I use the light bulb in the paint can trick for a heater. It works very well.
The link to my build is in my sig.
I just recently added another GE 7.0 cu.ft. freezer with a DIY single stage controller.

Are those glass carboys or plastic?

I'm also trying to find a freezer that will fit 2 6.5's in it, but i dont think they'll fit 2 in a freezer thats 15"x24".

Back