No knead, slow rise bread. (with video)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for anyone looking for a dutch over and if you have a sports academy near it was the cheapest place i could find. but i have also used stainless steal bowls and just used aluminum foil for the cover.

OK so they didn't rise like I expected but I think that is because I screwed up and had the seam side down. When I bake sandwich loaves I slice the tops so that some of the gas can escape and I think that helps them rise. Overall they turned out great but I did make a modification to the temp on my second loaf because the first loaf came out so crispy that my wife and kids didn't care for it. First loaf was at 500 for 30 minutes with another 5 minutes with the lid off. Second batch cooked at 450 for 30 minutes with the lid on and that was it. It is the better of the two but I think I would maybe give it 5-10 minutes with the lid off to give it a little more crispy crust. I will say the crust is like nothing I have ever baked before and I have made 40 or more loaves of homemade bread, just never in a dutch oven.

The taste is fantastic and I just mixed up a batch of all white that will be ready to bake tomorrow.

Also if anyone here makes this bread and is using it for sandwiches then slice it up after it's cooled, put it in a ziplock and freeze. When you are ready to make a sandwich, take out a couple slices and thaw or toast. If there is one thing I have learned from baking bread is that this stuff will go stale almost immediately and never taste close to the same unless you freeze it immediately.

Both loaves, left side is the higher temp loaf
XTGkr.jpg

Cell structure of higher temp loaf
fQmBZ.jpg

lower temp loaf
x1EB3.jpg

Cell structure of second loaf
R9pur.jpg

Dutch ovens are wonderful, aren't they? I have an old cast iron dutch oven with a bailwire type of handle. I have learned from experience that the bail will flip back and get you if you are not careful. I taught my daughter to make this bread about 1 month or so ago and she did an awesome job. First time I ever got branded by the bail handle though. Hot bread with butter, great crust...........life was good!

Totally forgot about this thread until today when I was looking at re-starting Carl Griffith's sourdough starter and using the no knead method with it, and also maybe brewing a rye beer with a beer starter made with the "hooch" of the sourdough.

Then I noticed a thread in the unanswered threads list and wrote this up...

It might be fun to experiment with both sourdough and beer yeasts in no-rise breads.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back