My first shopping list

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippy

Reaction score
Hi people,

Although I have never brewed, I "know" it is right for me, so I am not just experimenting here, but I am entering the craft.

I am in the market for my innitial equipment and have things pretty much narrowed down I think. Money is a factor, but at the same time I don't believe in wasting money on something I will be throwing away after one or two uses. I also do not want to be running back and fourth to the store every week to pick up extra equipment I later learn that I need. I kept my list as basic as I felt I could, while allowing myself some conveniences and also some room for improvement as my skills and bank account improve :eek:

Would someone please look over my list and let me know if there is anything critical that I am forgetting?

-extract kit (I will ask for a recommended kit for beginners from my LHBS)
-glucose or DME or etc. (again, whatever the shop owner suggests I will need as far as ingredients)

Starter equipment bundle (True Brew kit) includes the following:
-fermenter bucket with airlock
-bottling bucket with plastic spigot
-siphon tube
-bottle filler
-racking cane
-hydrometer
-hand capper, sanitizer, handbook (probably won't use this stuff)

Things not included in the kit as far as I know:
-wine thief
-auto-siphon (if not included in the kit)
-brew pot 20 quart (got this already)
-stirring spoon
-32 oz Starsan
-Oxyclean
-extra mosh bucket and wallpaper tub for sanitizing (got these already)
-flip top bottles (currently 'collecting' Fischer bottles :tank:)
-sponges for cleaning (got this already)
-digi thermometer (got this already)
-empty spray bottle to aid in sanitizing
-metal strainer to catch hops etc. from the wort (got this already)

I will not be using a secondary at this time and I will not be using a yeast starter at first either. I want to keep things relatively simple for at least the first two batches, introducing new a new and more advanced technique with subsequent batches, provided the previous come out ok. My goal is to move up to full grain brewing eventually and start brewing from my father-in-law's recipe which I still need to get...then I want to work up to brewing Pilsner, depending on how things go.

That shopping list will get you what you need for doing the extract + steeping grains which is good. You won't need the DME/glucose if you are getting a good recipe kit, as it will have everything in it you need.

I didn't read carboy on your list but it has both a "fermenting bucket" and "bottling bucket" that seems strange but if its the case you will also need a carboy with airlock and bung they should be about $20 new from your LHBS or check craigslist for used ones that should go for about $10.

i got a true brew kit on ebay for about $120. came with my choice of extract kits. but it came with everything i needed except thermometer. looks like your good to go.
welcome to the obsession:mug:

I shopped on craigslist when I was starting out and got everything that's included in the starter kits, plus spares of most things for about 40-50 bucks.

Thank you all very much for the confirmations and for the advice!

I had a nice answer all written out when I lost my internet connection and my post :mad: so I'll just leave it at "thanks" this time and next time I'll save my writing in notepad before mashing the submit button :(

The racking cane included with the True Brew kit isn't an autosiphon, but if you don't want to spring for one just yet, I had pretty good luck this weekend starting a siphon using an old flavor injector syringe (the kind used for marinades). I fit the end of the siphon tube over the end of the injector (without the needle attached) and drew back the plunger. Siphon started right up.

I didn't read carboy on your list but it has both a "fermenting bucket" and "bottling bucket" that seems strange but if its the case you will also need a carboy with airlock and bung they should be about $20 new from your LHBS or check craigslist for used ones that should go for about $10.

Just to be clear, since the OP said he will not be doing a secondary for the first couple batches, he definitely won't need a carboy right away. At some point it may become useful to pick one up, but it's not something you have to have to get going right off the bat.

Be careful with those flip top bottles, some people have had problems getting them to carb up, they might not seal properly. I would at least make sure they all have new seals. You can get them pretty cheap.

Well the thing about the carboy, and the flip top bottles too for that matter, is that I only have one good hand (my stein hand :D ) due to injury, so I do not believe I could safely handle the weight of a glass carboy. I DO have my eyes on the Better Bottle for sometime down the road though but I will make that decision at another time.

I am making flip-top lids my choice for bottling pretty much for the same reason as the carboy thing, as I don't know that I would be able to bottle with the hand held thing and am not ready to spend the money on a bench bottler. Thanks for the warning about the seals, though. I have seen the replacement seals for sale online and I don't think they were very expensive if I remember right. I'll probably grab some new ones for just in case.

I may ask the LHBS owner if I can try out a capper to see if I can operate it...if it is not that difficult, that will open up my options for sure :) I CAN use the bad hand, you see, just not very well. I don't see why the store owner would not let me try the capper out on one bottle...he may end up selling me a bunch of empties by doing so!

I started with flip-top bottles as well. Then a friend gave me a stand up bottle capper he picked up at a yard sale (google "geartop bottle capper") . You can use a better bottle or a glass carboy when your ready. A suggestion would be to get a "carboy carrier/hauler". I have some that are nylon straps that go around and under the carboy and has handles to carry with. If you only have the use of one hand, you could possibly use a hand truck or something on wheels if you have flat floors.

Back