First Mead in 10 years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluesGuy

Reaction score
Makes 4 gallons
O.G. = ~1.124 at 70degrees not sure what the compensated O.G is

Ingredients:
12 lbs Clover Honey
3 gal Water
3 small Cinnamon stick
2 Clove Whole
1 package D-47
1 1/2 tsp Yeast Energizer (Diammonium phosphate, yeast hull, magnesium sulphate.)

will add Fermax at end of Lag and 1/3 sugar break

Though now I am worried I got the additives backwards.

Also started a one gallon batch of Joes Ancient Orange

And three Gallons of EdWorts Apfelwein.

Makes 4 gallons ...O.G. = ~1.124 ... Ingredients:
12 lbs Clover Honey, 3 gal Water...
Welcome back to the wonderful world of mead... :)

This recipe should produce an OG of 1.106. The total must volume is correct at 4 gallons.

FWIW, either the must was stratified, or some other factor caused the OG reading of 1.124. No amount of reasonable temperature compensation would account for a difference of 18 points... ;)

Yeah does the Yeast Energizer get used when I rehydrate the yeast and the Fermax at end of lag and 1/3 sugar break?
Other than plain water, nothing should be used in the rehydration of dry yeast. Yet, there is one exception, and that is a product known as Go-Ferm, or its equivalent - Startup.

As you are getting back into making mead after quite a lenghty absence, I would suggest you read the forum's mead FAQs. They should help to guide you, and perhaps share newer concepts and advances that have been made in the past decade... ;) :)

Oh well...too late now....I was thinking the yeast energizer was the same as Go_Ferm. I appear to be mistaken. but I do not think I harmed things.....the Fermentation has started so I added three teaspoons of Fermax this morning and stirred the crap out of it this morning. I will order the GoFerm from AHS before my next batch.

Oh well...too late now....I was thinking the yeast energizer was the same as Go_Ferm. I appear to be mistaken. but I do not think I harmed things...
The consequence of improper rehydration is that the yeast will lose viability, and the remaining populations will be unable to initiate a rapid fermentation. This also holds true for those who "sprinkle" dry yeast onto the must. While they survive, the population won't be as heathly... ;)
I will order the GoFerm from AHS before my next batch.
While you're doing that you might consider replacing Fermax with Fermaid-K. That way you can follow the SNA protocal, knowing that you're adding apporpriate amounts of nutrient.

Since the manufacturer of Fermax chooses not to share the amount of FAN provided by Fermax per unit weight, it's impossible to know how much of what you are adding. FWIW, adding too much is not a good thing... :(

I will do that.....I am happy to report though I did not appear to have messed things up to bad......the batch is fermenting along nicely.....I hit 1/3 sugar break tonight the 28th added nutrient gave it one last vigorous stir sealed and air locked.....will see were it goes from here.

GREEN FACED ENVY - you hit 1/3 sugar break in roughly three days....... Can I say from the bottom of my heart.
I HATE YOU.....
Someday I will be able to follow directions and do that.
Sorry, I just have not had luck with high gravity meads of late, they all turn out OK, but I'm just not there on that full on active and massive fermentation (yet).

Really glad that its going well, and it sounds really tasty.

Ok checked the gravity tonight 01-05-08.
SG is 1.010 at 66 degrees.
I plan on splitting the batch into two 2.5 gallon jars I got of amazon once I figure a seal and air lock system.
One with either frozen Raspberrys or frozen Blueberrys
The other with fresh apples and Cranberrys if I can find Cranberrys.

Opinions and or recommendations welcome.

nice! coming along nicely! no recommendations other than to keep posting with updates -- seems the meadsters kinda fizzle out since the damn thing takes so long to get to drinking stage!

my only advice is whole fruit is very messy to deal with because of the sludge. not sure if you are using buckets which are ideal for fruit mead because of the huge openning.

If you are you can use a muslin bag for your fruit. This will make taking the fruit out easier and maximize the amount of mead left behind.

Personally, I blenderize the fruit and run it through a screen to remove the pulp. Then just use juice. Flavor is not hurt by this.

Back