Re-using sanitizing solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it possible to keep and reuse Iodophor sanitizing solution? I mixed up 5 gallons of it last Monday and it seems like a shame to throw it out. Right now it is sitting in one of my old plastic fermenters. I would love to be able to re-use it a couple of times.

Sometimes I'll use my Iodophor a couple of days in a row. But not after it sits for more than about a day. It loses it's effectiveness the longer it sits.

Its a different sanitizer but I use one batch of Diversol sanitizer from start to finish for each batch, I keep it stored in a couple 10 litre water jugs with a lid. I do however had a scoop full of diversol each time I use it to make up for it loosing its strength.

I think Iodophor is only guaranteed to work for something like two hours. It's fairly cheap, and I don't mind mixing freshies up for each beer, sometimes for different steps in the process. Overkill? Maybe, but I do what I do.

RichBrewer said:
Is it possible to keep and reuse Iodophor sanitizing solution? I mixed up 5 gallons of it last Monday and it seems like a shame to throw it out. Right now it is sitting in one of my old plastic fermenters. I would love to be able to re-use it a couple of times.

As long as it looks amber, it's still an effective sanitizer.

Kai

Along the lines of sanitizers retaining their strength: what about one-step (oxygen cleanser)? I have some in a keg right now and plan on using it wednesday, and it will be a week old. Should I use it or pitch it?

WhatsOnTap said:
Along the lines of sanitizers retaining their strength: what about one-step (oxygen cleanser)?
One Step is not a sanitizer...it was originally advertised as such, but the company that makes it no longer makes that claim.

El Pistolero said:
One Step is not a sanitizer...it was originally advertised as such, but the company that makes it no longer makes that claim.

EP--can you elaborate on this? I'm looking at a Northern Brewer catalog right now, that's dated "Spring 2006," and in the blurb for One Step, they say "...One Step is an excellent oxygen based sanitizer."

I had actually been thinking about switching to this, which I suspect is a little greener thing to be dumping down my drains than Iodophor. (And won't stain plastic, etc.)

I'm interested to hear more about this.

cweston said:
EP--can you elaborate on this? I'm looking at a Northern Brewer catalog right now, that's dated "Spring 2006," and in the blurb for One Step, they say "...One Step is an excellent oxygen based sanitizer."

I had actually been thinking about switching to this, which I suspect is a little greener thing to be dumping down my drains than Iodophor. (And won't stain plastic, etc.)

I'm interested to hear more about this.
Apparently it's a legal issue...

In the U.S.A., "sanitizer" is a legal term defined by the Environmental Protection Agency. In order for a product to be called a sanitizer in promotional literature or on its packaging, that product must be approved by the EPA, assigned a registration number, and have an open file maintained with the EPA. Unless a company would like to invest an enormous amount of capitol in this process (or use another company's product through a process called "sub-registration"), they may not call their product a sanitizer.

I'm still looking for the sites where I found this discussion previously. The above quote is from this site. I believe you're correct in thinking that One-Step is "greener"...IIRC that was one of the goals of the mfg. in developing this product. The discussions I've seen implied that the mfg still adamantly believes that it's a one-step no-rinse cleanser/sanitizer, but has chosen not to pursue the cost of the EPA certification. I've also seen other arguments that implied there was more than just a legal problem, so I guess it comes down to who do you believe. I'll post more when I find it.

I bet it's just a legal issue. I've always used one-step or equivalent oxygen sanitzer and I've never had a batch go bad.

Back