White Labs 002 (English Ale) in an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonBrew

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some advice on whether or not to use WL002 in an IPA style. My concerns is that the description of the yeast states that it "mutes hop character". Obviously the hop character is important in an IPA. I'm wondering if the yeast will only effect hop character during fermentation, i.e. can I still use it and then just dry hop to provide hop aroma after primary fermentation?

The style guide on the White Labs website suggests that this yeast would be fine for an IPA but seems like a contradiction.

Any got any ideas?

Many thanks

I used that in an IPA. I think the reason that it supposedly mutes hop character is due to the high flocculation. Still for me it turned out really good. You could always increase the late hops if you wanted to be sure of good hop aroma.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks Yooper.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob so, could you explain how high floccuation would affect the hops?

The idea is that yeast in suspension would "pull out" the hops oils as it flocculates and so a highly flocculant yeast strain could mute hops flavor and aroma.

Thanks Yooper, that makes sense. Sounds like dry hoping would work nicely then once fermentation is more or less complete and the yeast has floccuated.

Thanks again!

I've used WLP002/WY1968 many, many times in IPA and other hoppy beers. It is an outstanding all around yeast. I would probably prefer not to use it in a west coast style IPA. The yeast does leave a bit of residual maltiness, which I think is fine in an east coast/Colorado style IPA.

An English yeast like that will leave esters which are found in English IPA's. i.e. Sammy Smiths etc. You can taste a little fruitiness in the malt flavor. The IPA's hops drown some of that out but you can really taste it in an English Pale Ale.

i've had some good success with it (great for session IPAs), but more importantly it works just fine for deschutes, lagunitas, firestone walker, etc in their IPAs

i've had some good success with it (great for session IPAs), but more importantly it works just fine for deschutes, lagunitas, firestone walker, etc in their IPAs

Those quality breweries were the reason I just started to use this yeast. I believe Firestone uses the WLP002 in almost all of their beers and I don't think anyone could call their IPAs weak in the hops department. I finished a black IPA about a month ago using the WLP002 for the first time. Great overall bitterness as well as hop aroma and flavor. I think if you are going to use it in an IPA three things to remember are to:

1) Slightly overpitch (due to factor two)
2) Ferment cool to minimize diacetyl
3) Dry hop once the yeast has started to floc out.

You'll be good to go.

I've used it a couple of times and it made good beer. My experience with WLP002 is that it doesn't attenuate quite as well as WLP001 (usually around 75% for me). You probably won't end up with quite as dry/clean beer, but there's something to be said for character and I think WLP002 has it in spades.

Firestone Walker uses a similar yeast in their IPA's and Pales, which in my opinion is a pretty big vote of confidence. Supposedly the trick is to start low and bump up the temp after around 12-24 hours. Something like 64-67(after a dayish), and finishing up at 71 (high krausen to finish). This yeast is a beast and can finish a beer in a few days.

although attenuation is not as high as other yeasts you can always fine tune your recipe if you like what you are getting from this yeast. or any other strain, for that matter. lower mash temp, less crystal, or more sugar, for example. i find that 002/1968/fullers yeast is great for the most of same styles as s05/cal as long as you start it cool and ramp up later, as others have said. in casual comparisons (ie not a proper side by side test) i've done between the same beer brewed with cal ale or fullers there's not a big difference in hop character. i'd probably stop short of using fullers for a double ipa, but i bet you could just about get away with it with good yeast management.

although attenuation is not as high as other yeasts you can always fine tune your recipe if you like what you are getting from this yeast. or any other strain, for that matter. lower mash temp, less crystal, or more sugar, for example. i find that 002/1968/fullers yeast is great for the most of same styles as s05/cal as long as you start it cool and ramp up later, as others have said. in casual comparisons (ie not a proper side by side test) i've done between the same beer brewed with cal ale or fullers there's not a big difference in hop character. i'd probably stop short of using fullers for a double ipa, but i bet you could just about get away with it with good yeast management.

+1 I could consistently get 80% out of this yeast by mashing low and pitching a healthy amount. I love how it makes a bright beer in short order. And, it can ferment anywhere from clean to fruity. I loved the esters I got in my brown ale, but I regularly use it for hoppy beers as well.

Check out this California/English blend as well. http://morebeer.com/products/white-labs-worlds-yeast-blend.html. I haven't used it yet but looks like it might be good fit for IPAs.

I'm in the middle of a Firestone series using the 002 and re-pitching (Pale 31 -> Union Jack IPA -> Wookey Jack) it finishes quick and the high flocculation gives you really clear beer.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I use ESB 1968 for all my beers/ales. I start my fermentation at 62-64* F, unless I want the English esters. I have made a Black IPA with this yeast, and there was plenty of hop flavor/bitterness coming through. Since my yeasts' actions are predictable, I may change the mash temperature to get the finished product I want.

Back