Dutch Oven Seasoning/Beef Stew Article

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dry vermouth is an interesting addition at the end of cooking, I might have to try that sometime. Makes sense though, eat stew with dry vermouth, then have a Manhattan afterwards as you watch the sun set over the mountains. Ahh.....

I used to love cooking with my dutch oven. When we lived in Montana I used it all the time, but haven't in quite a while. This gets me inspired to break it out and make a nice roast.

For a roast:
Heat the dutch and add a bit of sliced garlic and oil to the bottom. Once the oil is hot, place the roast into it, and sear all sides.

Instead of water, pour beer into the dutch to just cover the roast. I've used cheap beer and I've used homebrew. This is the only thing I ever use BMC for.

Add carrots and potatoes as desired.

Cover the dutch and cook until done.

Cook to desired temperature.

I know Wild Good Island when I see it!

Here is the early spring view (best damn time of year) of the hills just outside my front door in western Sanders County.

47045_492099527499779_1079334198_n.jpg

My wife found an enameled Lodge dutch oven (I think it's 12Q) really cheap and it is probably the most used piece of cookware in our house.

It makes great stews, soups, braized roasts, roux, I've even used it for steaks, it cooks sooo evenly (now I have a cast iron skillet for that).

Latest posts

Back