Should I or shouldn't I

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2

Reaction score
This is my first time. I just took my batch out of my primary and put it in my secondary should I leave it in for the full 2wks? My instructions say 2wks. But as most man I hate following instructions. I had big yeast cake in the primary. If that makes any difference.

Brew2 said:
That long even when you aren't getting anymore bubbles in the primary?

I'll be THAT guy. But bubbles in the airlock are not an indication of fermentation. Only that your airlock is releasing excess pressure. Airlocks will bubble for no reason and also won't bubble sometimes at all. You really need to check with a hydrometer to ensure your fermentation is complete. Just my .02

I'll be THAT guy. But bubbles in the airlock are not an indication of fermentation. Only that your airlock is releasing excess pressure. Airlocks will bubble for no reason and also won't bubble sometimes at all. You really need to check with a hydrometer to ensure your fermentation is complete. Just my .02

+1. Thanks for being THAT guy who said what needed to be said given the question and the oh-so-very common misconception about bubbling airlocks (or lack thereof).

IMO, for a typical batch, you would have been perfectly fine letting it ferment in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottling. No need for a secondary in most (but not all) situations.

Next time use the secondary to brew another beer and leave the brew in the primary for 3 weeks then bottle. 99% of the time you don't need a secondary.

+1. Thanks for being THAT guy who said what needed to be said given the question and the oh-so-very common misconception about bubbling airlocks (or lack thereof).

IMO, for a typical batch, you would have been perfectly fine letting it ferment in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottling. No need for a secondary in most (but not all) situations.

+1 You're definitely right that many beers are good after 3 in the primary then going straight into the bottle. I've been a big proponent of using a secondary in many cases, however, and have been catching a hard time from a lot of HBs for it. I see the value of using a secondary when it comes to clarity. I like to have a nice clear IPA or sour ale sometimes so I'll often use a secondary. But....if I were going with a hefe (obviously) or a darker beer where you'd probably not even be able to tell then I'll just bottle. I often put bigger beers or more complex dark beers like stouts in a secondary just to age too.

For primary, though, I'd definintely recommend a minimum of 2 weeks in most cases, however. Not all, though. The summer hefeweizen I make usually only sits in the primary for 10 days.

Back