Dry roasted peanut flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meat_Cat

Reaction score
With some ales, I've been getting a strong dry roasted peanut/peanut buttery flavor. Sometimes it even reminds me of gouda cheese. Victory Summer Love Ale and Sierra Nevada's Floral IPA from beer camp have been some recent offenders. However, I've gotten it in some larger IPAs, but more subtle: Meadowlark from Pretty Things had a touch of it. If I recall, White Rajah from Brew Kettle might have had the flavor. I'm guessing it's the malt causing the flavor. I've checked the malts on these beers, and there doesn't seem to be a consistent culprit. Anyone?

Thanks!!

If you're getting butter in your beer, it's likely diacetyl. Odd that you'd taste it in that many beers though, so i'm guessing you're tasting something else (though i'm not sure what it is).

TY, but it's definitely not a buttery/butterscotch flavor. It's seriously a dry-roasted peanut flavor. Maybe peanut butter. Maybe gouda?

Another weird question...are you a smoker? Maybe the smoke is impairing your senses and making the malt profile change on you?

That's an excellent question, smoking can dramatically impact smell and taste. However, I'm not a smoker. :/

CaraVienna, Caravienne and Special Roast might taste and smell similar to dry roasted peanuts to some people.

TY for the malt ids. I heard some people say that victory malt can have the flavor too. I started looking at the malts used in some of the beers this morning. Summer Love exclusively uses 2 row German pilsner malt. Others have more mixed recipes. Pale, Crystal, Munich, Flaked & Roasted Barley all show up in Meadowlark IPA. I'm not sure if Munich is used a lot in certain dunkels, but I had someone in another forum mention that they got a "dry-roasted peanut" flavor in some dunkelweizens.

I've figured out other compounds that bug me in the past, so perhaps with enough prying at info and "testing", I can figure this "dry roasted peanut" flavor. (I've had these two in the past: 1) phenols particular to peat-smoked malts fill my mouth with bandaids and 2) I narrowed a musty/musty wood flavor I had been getting down to a few hops.)

I know this is a very old thread but I was curious if anyone has narrowed this down at all. I have an IPA that is very similar to what's described.

I believe this is a barley flavor. I have tasted this in certain whiskeys as well, specifically Jim
Beam which is barley heavy. I’ve been sensitive to that peanut flavor for quite a while now

Back