Forgot to add pure malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnjoyGoodBeer

Reaction score
Here heres a quick question getting done with my wort. Getting rdy to chill and i found out i forgot to add my extra PME. How bad will this make my brew? Brewing a BB oktoberfest. Meaning i only added one PME of two canisters.

Here heres a quick question getting done with my wort. Getting rdy to chill and i found out i forgot to add my extra PME. How bad will this make my brew? Brewing a BB oktoberfest. Meaning i only added one PME of two canisters.

Can you add it now? Maybe add it to as small amount of water as possible, and bring it up to a boiling temperature, cool it, and then add it?

Yooper said:
Can you add it now? Maybe add it to as small amount of water as possible, and bring it up to a boiling temperature, cool it, and then add it?

Chilling now sgould u stop?

If you haven't started to chill, it isn't too late to add it. Just boil for 5-10 min after you add it. I would recommend adding it. Leaving out half your fermentables will make a big difference.

Adding malt extract late in the boil is a common practice.

mathin said:
If you haven't started to chill, it isn't too late to add it. Just boil for 5-10 min after you add it. I would recommend adding it. Leaving out half your fermentables will make a big difference.

At 120 dagrees right now i just stopped. Start my boil over again with my PME?

Well brought it back to 200 dagrees added second PME. Let boil for 7 mins. Now cooling again with wort chiller. Guess we'll see how this BB kit turns out. Thanks for the quick input fellas. Im still a noob only me and my buddys second batch.

I think it'll turn out fine. If there were some late hop additions they may provide less aroma, but I think that's a better option than leaving out the extract.

mathin said:
I think it'll turn out fine. If there were some late hop additions they may provide less aroma, but I think that's a better option than leaving out the extract.

Hope so. Took my OG it was 1.51 a bit over than what the kit called for. We'll see in about four weeks.

That

At 120 dagrees right now i just stopped. Start my boil over again with my PME?

Yes

Well brought it back to 200 dagrees added second PME. Let boil for 7 mins. Now cooling again with wort chiller. Guess we'll see how this BB kit turns out. Thanks for the quick input fellas. Im still a noob only me and my buddys second batch.

Good

you're beer will be fine.

That

:mug:

Heh, thanks guys those extra reposed made it better. Me and my buddy will end up finding out in a month. Im sure it'll be good. So was a good thing we added that PME insteaded of leaving it out? If we did't add PME how bad would have been the outcome? Also im on a ipod app sorry for the typing. But what does :mug: mean? <--------- newb

If you had left out half of your fermentables you would have ended up with a weak, watered down beer.

Latest posts

Back