So what do you think of this mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirate252

Reaction score
So we just brewed up a batch of Hefeweizen and IPA, the hef was a kit from austinhomebrew, the IPA was a homemade recipe...

We accidentally swapped the yeasts on the things, yeah I know, we have been beating ourselves up for it all day, but what do you think they will come out like.

The yeasts were:
White labs Hef
and
Wyeast American Ale II

The hefeweizen will probably be pretty boring (comparatively speaking). Depending on the flavour hop additions in your IPA that could be interesting though. The banana and/or clove notes of the yeast mingling with some citrus flavour from some American hops might be a winner, who knows.

Yep-I second what HELLBREW said-It'll be beer-It'll be different.Drink it and chalk it up to experience,it(they) may be good .Shane

On the IPA the bittering was Magnum, Flavor was Cascade, and Aroma was Saaz. 1 ounce of each, and then one ounce of saaz will be used for dryhop as well.

We plan on getting the exact same ingredients and doing them again, right this time and comparing the two, see whats better, who knows maybe we came up with somthing really good :D

Did you use Beersmith or another software to determine the IBU of the IPA? I would think that depending on how high that is would give a decent indication of how well the hefe yeast flavor is going to come through. My recent hefe was an 11 IBU and the yeast flavor comes through quite easily although I can definitely tell a difference between it and the hefe before that where my IBU was more like 6 or 7. I would think that if your IBU hits 25+ picking up the yeast flavors will be difficult and 40+ and you probably won't be able to pick them up at all. Not that, that's a bad thing just a guess on what may happen.

The hefe will probably just seem a little plain when compared to previous hefe's you've brewed. Did you check the attenuation on the two yeasts? The only other change I could think that you might notice with the hefe is if the American ale yeast is higher attenuating you might have a dryer hefe than you're used to.

Yeah we did decide to cut the dryhop out, we will be dryhopping the next IPA though, we have dryhoppped 2 or 3 times before and its amazing.

I do use beersmith, but because the Hef was a kit from austonhomebrew i didnt actually put it in the program... The IPA was about 43 IBU though.

Thanks for the replies

You might consider dry hopping the hefe (American ale) with a small (1/2 oz) amount of a fruity/spicy hop like Perle or Willamette.

Back