Quickie Volume Gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gib0r

Reaction score
I've been posting a lot of little projects lately in anticipation for a brew day this weekend (See Quickie Temp Controller and Quickie Mill Funnel ), and this is looking to be the last of the ones I consider possibly interesting.

Since I'm able to see into my kettle during the boil, and I didn't want to bother with a sight glass, this was my solution. It's aluminum and detachable. The top of the tab marks gallon and the bottom of the tab marks half gallon.

hTE6K.jpg

9uFOe.jpg

Prost.

nice.... so you have to remember what the top one is and count down to where you are?

I did something similar in my keggles, I took the old spear and scored some rings on it with a pipe cutter to mark the gallons so I just dunk it and pull it out and count the rings to where the water line is.

simply awesome, making one next week!

What is your opinion, make it show 'hot' volume, or 'cold' volume?

I say go for broke and do both. If you're feeling saucy, put both graduations on the same scale (perhaps as 'steps' rather than 'tabs' ?).

I demand photos.

Got out and brewed this morning, giving some new riggings a proper test. This includes the volume gauge.

2ZEAk.jpg

^7g as poured from 7 Ozarka jugs served as convenient calibrator . I was quite excited to see the final bit of the last jug barely break over the gallon marker. Spot on.

hLAFD.jpg

^Did BIAB today, and lost about a gallon with the grain. You can just see the top of tab 6 under the surface of the wort.

xwLlL.jpg

^This morning sent splendidly. Nothing unexpected happened, and I managed all of my target numbers.

Cheers.

Did I miss where you described how you made this or is it just as simple as "i used a hack saw and a file"?

Back