Oxy-Clean Free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subliminalurge

Reaction score
OK, so where do you all buy this stuff? I've checked two local grocery stores and the nearest wal-mart. All I've been able to find is the Oxy-Clean Versatile, which has the perfume added.

My wal-mart must just be out of it. All the oxy I have on hand is old from back before they had the perfume and stuff added. Still works fine but it's pretty caked up and a pain to deal with. Guess I'll just keep getting by with that until wally world gets it back in stock.

Thanks

My wal-mart must just be out of it. All the oxy I have on hand is old from back before they had the perfume and stuff added. Still works fine but it's pretty caked up and a pain to deal with. Guess I'll just keep getting by with that until wally world gets it back in stock.

Thanks

Ya can order it off the site, only 97 cents shipping....Thats what i do..

Target has their own brand, no scent. Half the price of oxyclean too.

Ah, cool. Didn't know about that.

Have to run to Lowe's later on to get some 2x4's to build a beefed up bottom shelf for the spare fridge so it'll be all ready for my kegs when they show up on Tuesday. There's a Target right next door, I'll have to stop in there. (Don't normally shop at target since it's so much further away than wally world, but since I'm going to Lowe's anyway.....)

I never used real oxyclean, but I'm using this stuff right now. Making label removal a breeze. It has to be better than anything wallyworld sells since they cheapen every product they carry.

I use the Oxyclean versatile with the perfume added... makes my beer smell great...Seriously though I have never detected any smell left from the oxyclean versatile... what would the odor cling to? I use it for cleaning kegs, buckets, bottles etc. I rinse everything and then sanitize with Iodopher. Absolutely no trace of of oxyclean perfume. Just another myth I think. I buy it at Sam's Club... last time I bought it was $11.00 for a 14# box. The wife uses it in the laundry and kitchen. She swears by it like I do.

Use Oxyclean Free with TSP/90 (ace hardware has it in the paint section) and you pretty much have PBW for half the price. Oxyclean Free on its own is not a real comparison to PBW as it leaves a lot of organic gunk that PBW can eat away. If you can find the Sun brand Oxyclean Free equivalent and combine it with TSP/90 you save a lot more nd have the same cleaning power as PBW.

Also, you should be using water that is about 120 degrees. It works much more efficiently with HOT water.

I buy Kroger brand. Same active ingredients and it cost less than half. Works great.

I use the Versatile Oxy as well turns out. Actually never realized the perfume deal until this post. Been using it for quite a while with no ill effects what-so-ever.

I thought I bought the perfume free stuff a while back and just the other day I realized it has a lemon smell when I open the container but when mixed with water I don't smell anything at all.

In my humble opinion, Oxyclean Free works better than PBW at what I want it to do, and that is to soften/dissolve kraeusen. I don't get mineral scale on my equipment, so I don't have to worry about that aspect.

Be careful with generic or home-made PBW clones, and always pre-mix with water instead of adding the powder to the vessel to be cleaned... I bought some from a popular online homebrew shops once just to have it eat through two Better Bottles.

I buy Kroger brand. Same active ingredients and it cost less than half. Works great.

Thats what i did, got a giant tub for pretty cheap...although it didnt say no scent, so im pretty sure i looked ridiculous opening the lid in the isle and smelling it

I actually dont mind using the "perfumed" Oxyclean ad I use it if the free isn't available. The nice thing about it is you can tell if you have rinsed it all completely off due to the smell. If you can still smell it, you didn't get it all and keep rinsing. You can't tell with the "free".

Back