Beer in Cans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyspade

Reaction score
I was speaking to the brewmaster at local brewery recently and he mentioned to me that a number of craft brewers here in Canada are considering canning their product as opposed to bottling. It has some advantages over bottling in that it's apparently cheaper to do and the recycling process is easier. Not to mention that it prevents any light from getting to the beer, I imagine.

He said what's preventing any real push to doing it is that there's a perception amongst the consumer that beer in a can represents an inferior product. This is certainly true here in Canada as most of our generic light lagers come this way, and I assume this holds true for the US as well.

Is anybody else seeing craft brewers canning their product recently, where they had been in bottles?

I've heard the same thing about brewers moving to cans from bottles but can't remember where.

Here in the U.S. a couple of big "premium beers" are going to cans, like Michelob, but I have never, nor I think I ever will, seen a craft beer in a can.

Oh yeah, craft beer in cans is defiantly on the rise. Heard Sierra Nevada was going to soon. I bought some Magic Hat #9 in cans last night for a party.

Some of the best and most popular beer in the country comes in cans. It is after all the superior package.
craft-beer-can-1997.jpg

pauljmccain said:
Here in the U.S. a couple of big "premium beers" are going to cans, like Michelob, but I have never, nor I think I ever will, seen a craft beer in a can.

I had michelob in a can about 15 years ago. Also there are a number of craft beers in cans. Dale's Pale Ale we probably one of the first I ever saw about 5 years ago. There are a number of others and I think it's slowly catching on.

Oscar blues, 21st Amendment, Maui Brewing, Anderson Valley, High Noon Saloon all can. They are some of my favorite breweries too.
The picture above is the first time I've seen Big Sky beers in cans. I'll have to go track down some canned Moose Drool tonight!

Suds-u-brew in town does cans/bottles/kegging. I thoughtt he canning setup was kinds cool, but I don't like tin :(

I love the 21A commercials on TBN. "Everyone likes it in the can!"

The only thing I like from Budweiser is the Bug Light Lime commercial! "Next thing I knew, I was getting it in the can."

Some people (whether it be true or psychological) perceive a metallic flavor from canned beer, and I'd like to do a blind tasting of 21A beer from a growler compared to the cans.

MBasile said:
The only thing I like from Budweiser is the Bug Light Lime commercial! "Next thing I knew, I was getting it in the can."

Some people (whether it be true or psychological) perceive a metallic flavor from canned beer, and I'd like to do a blind tasting of 21A beer from a growler compared to the cans.

Modern beer cans have a lining inside...

Locally Milwaukee Brewing Company just started canning. It's the same system that Surly in Minneapolis has been using for years and that most craft brewers use. You will definitely see it soon in your area.

Have not researched it yet, but I have heard there is a place in PDX that will can your homebrew for you. Other than having to transport it down there it sounds like a somewhat intriguing idea. Caldera Brewing in Ashland, OR uses cans. They're painted so gaudily that they almost look like fruit juice. Wonder how many minors managed to buy some before vendors realized.

Modern beer cans have a lining inside...

Not trying to start anything but i noticed a few cans,Brekenridge,and a local craft-can and noticed it looked pretty raw inside the can,just an observation.If its anything like a pepsi can,it doesnt looked lined to me.Just checked em.

The cans are lined. But you can get metallic taste from the opening if you drink straight from the can. Just pour it into a glass and you will not know the difference.

Have not researched it yet, but I have heard there is a place in PDX that will can your homebrew for you. Other than having to transport it down there it sounds like a somewhat intriguing idea. Caldera Brewing in Ashland, OR uses cans. They're painted so gaudily that they almost look like fruit juice. Wonder how many minors managed to buy some before vendors realized.

Awesome, here comes the dumb-asses, AKA politicians, trying to get their name in the paper by proposinig a ban on vibrant colors on beer labels. It'll probably require a new tax to fight this new vibrant color minor enticing scurge too.

Half Acre Brewery here in Chicago cans all of its beers in tallboys. I always pour them to avoid the metallic taste.

I've had a few in cans lately, most recently 7 Seas, and it was awesome! I used to hate the can due to an unfortunate incident with Shiner Bock cans back in the late 90's, it was an awful catastrophe. Recent encounters with micro cans have me back on the can bandwagon, the only unfortunate part is that leaves me with no extra bottles to reuse.

Plus you can't crush bottles on your head like cans unless you want to go to the hospital.

I have a funny feeling that crushing a can on my head might still cause an injury...

It's in the technique, with your hand over the end of the can use your fingers to dent the can as it approaches your forehead. Give it some good speed. Won't hurt a bit. Go ahead and try and be sure to post back the results.

Dunno about cans, but crushing a bottle with my forehead would earn me some stitches, probably a concussion as well... The whole "can" thing is kind of moot from a homebrewer perspective since I doubt any of us could afford the required equipment in the first place. IF it were within range, I'd certainly put a bit of it in cans. I mean, smaller cans than my kegs (grin -now THATS what I call a "tall boy") -I think it would be pretty cool -though if it changed the flavor of the beer, this would end real quick. However, as the cans have liners, I doubt you end up with aluminum-flavored beer...

How cool would it be to see a business that cans homebrew. Maybe a major LHBS in a really big homebrewing market would be a great way to test the viability (or even a separate business partnered with the LHBS). Bring in your fermentor, leave with two cases of cans (or pick it up later)... maybe even a discount if made from one of their kits.

Of course, it all comes down to cost, and it could very well be obviously totally impractical once the numbers are crunched. I admittedly have zero idea what the cost of such a setup would be. Although given the size of some of the craft breweries doing cans around here, I don't think it can be TOO FAR out of reach. Heck, such a business could even use the off-time after hours to do canning runs for nanobrewries, smaller microbreweries, etc.

I'd surely pay a premium to get my beer canned. They would pack so much neater into long-term storage than bottles.

I think you may be onto something.

Back