Cider Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAlexander

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As someone new to cider, it would be really helpful to get some sort of a quick overview to what different yeasts will impart on cider. I've heard of people using Champagne Yeast, Ale Yeast, Wine Yeast, Sweet Mead Yeast, etc, so I'm curious what different qualities they will give your cider. At the advice of the local brewstore owner, I'm using Champagne Yeast in my first batch, but I'd like to know what you guys generally do and why.

Thanks!

Connor

Here's a link to a bunch of yeast types with descriptions. The main intent is for mead but the descriptions are helpful in selecting a yeast.

http://www.cfhb.org/mead/yeast_strains.htm#mont

If you haven't seen the BIG Apfelwien thread you might want to check that out. Many have used the Montrachet. I have also heard the Cote Des Blancs as being very good. Maybe less dry.

:mug:

Generally I use a british ale yeast for my mead since I dont like it as dry and prefer a hint of the yeast in my cider. Next season I am going to try a more traditional method on use the natural wild yeasts on the apples . . . now if I can just find a place to sell me cider pressed while I watch and thats not pasturized . . .

I have used Wyeast Labs Liquid Cider Yeast for over 200 gallons, and I will never use another sachet of dry again. I have found that when I used champagne yeast or Montrachet it ends up taking a 'coons age' to clear with the longest being 2 years. The Wyeast brand liquid yeasts do their business and get out. Most recently, I had a 3 gallon batch from the bucket to the bottle in 6 weeks with it being ready to drink in 6 months. In my opinion, that yeast works wonders, and leaves a classic cider taste after it has cleared.

Back