Gravity too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M-P

Reaction score
I brewed a chocolate milk stout and let it sit in the primary for the past 12 days....just racked it to secondary this morning. My original gravity was 1.056, which is about right, but my SG after 3 days was 1.027 and now at 12 days is 1.023. The style claims 1.012-1.024 FG, but I was assuming it would be dropping to about the 1.014-1.018 area not stalling at 1.023. BTW, I used Wyeast Irish Ale yeast. Any ideas or input?

I would check two or three more times on consecutive days to ensure that your FG remains the same before bottling/kegging. Even if it doesn't come down any further, sitting for a bit longer in the secondary won't hurt it. If I did my math correctly you have a 4.3 ABV brew and that should be pretty close to what you would want for a stout.

Definitely racked too early, but what kind of recipe was this, extract, partial, AG? maybe you produced too many unfermentable sugars

this was extract with:

5.5 lbs dark dme
1 lb 60L caramel malt
1 lb flaked oats
.5 lb choc malt
.5 lb black patent malt
1 lb lactose
8oz 100% cocoa powder

I figured that since it only dropped 3 points in 10 days that it was pretty well finished in the primary.

Back