DIPA Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumpster

Reaction score
Here's the next batch I'm doing on Thursday just wanted to do some final tweakage to it and see if my hop schedule is in line with what folks think.

9 1/2lbs Light Malt
1lb Table Sugar
.5 Crystal 40L
.5 Caramunich 1

Hop Schedule
1oz each Simcoe/Amarillo (60)
1oz each Simcoe/Amarillo @ 15,10,5 and Flameout

Or would I get more hop punch if I split up bittering hops to .5 each at 60 and took the left over to a 20 minute edition or split up any of the additions to .5 to spread it out of the course of the boil? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Is that 9.5 lbs of light malt extract or grain? If it's grain, you don't have enough malt for a DIPA or to balance out your hops. I think it's fine to end-load your hop additions so there's a lot in the final 15 minutes (though you probably also want some dry hops). You just need to put this into a recipe calculator to get an IBU estimate and adjust your 60 minute addition to give you the IBUs you want.

+1 Dry hop - I find my DIPA's need a dry hop to balance the bitterness. The flame out usually works better for me as the DH.

*WARNING BEER SNOB ALERT*

Why say DIPA when it is a IIPA? Know what the Double means?;) SORRY!

I would way up the malt (unless you are talking extract) and I would add a dry hop and another oz of maybe glacier towards flame out. I wouldn't take from the 60 minute additions.

:cheers:

That's pretty light on the IBU factor, for a DIPA. Beer Smith puts it at mid 50's. I would add at least another ounce of one, if not both of those bittering hops.

Also, don't forget about dry hopping. That's what takes the DIPA to another level.

Yeah, I'm doing 2 oz at 60 for the bittering. I do have some cascade coming with it for dry hopping. About 6ozs or so so I could add an Oz of cascade with the 60 minute addition. I had an IBU Calculator tell me this would come in at 145 IBU's, was I wrong? Also the 9.3 is LME.

*WARNING BEER SNOB ALERT*

Why say DIPA when it is a IIPA? Know what the Double means?;) SORRY!

:cheers:

Cheezydemon, you seem to have forgotten the part where you explain the difference between DIPA and IIPA, to the less knowledgeable brewers such as myself. . .

Cheezydemon, you seem to have forgotten the part where you explain the difference between DIPA and IIPA, to the less knowledgeable brewers such as myself. . .

Sorry! wanted to give him a chance.

The double refers to the two "I"s

Imperial India Pale Ale.

When speaking, "double IPA" comes out a little smoother.

When written (or typed) DIPA makes no sense. It is the same number of letters.

A DIPA is something to catch poop for a baby.

An IIPA is a thing of beaty.;)

Sorry! wanted to give him a chance.

The double refers to the two "I"s

Imperial India Pale Ale.

When speaking, "double IPA" comes out a little smoother.

When written (or typed) DIPA makes no sense. It is the same number of letters.

A DIPA is something to catch poop for a baby.

An IIPA is a thing of beaty.;)

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php#1c

BJCP.ORG said:
History: A recent American innovation reflecting the trend of American craft brewers “pushing the envelope” to satisfy the need of hop aficionados for increasingly intense products. The adjective “Imperial” is arbitrary and simply implies a stronger version of an IPA; “double,” “extra,” “extreme,” or any other variety of adjectives would be equally valid.

So, Actually, as I read the BJCP guide for 14c, Imperial IPA, the history implies that it it means DOUBLE "IPA" not Double I's, P to the A, as in double the hops, double the strength, double the deliciousness, etc and the doubling of the first letter.

The (conveniently accurate for my reply) Wikipedia entry states

Wikipedia said:
Double India Pale Ales (abbreviated Double IPAs or DIPAs) are a strong, very hoppy style of pale beer. Also known as Imperial IPAs (or IIPAs), perhaps in reference to the Russian Imperial Stout, a much stronger version of the English Stout, these beers are essentially India Pale Ales with higher amounts of malt and hops. Double IPAs typically have alcohol content above 7% by volume. IBUs are in the very high range (60+). Such "style" labels can seem arbitrary however, since the aforementioned Ballantine IPA in its original formulation was certainly well above these benchmarks.
Many of the stronger Double IPAs could be alternately classified as American barleywines or Triple IPAs. As a relatively young style, it is still being determined. It is one of the fastest growing styles in the craft beer industry, and a favorite among hopheads.

FWIW, I'll write it as IIPA or DIPA, it depends on who starts the conversation. Outloud, I'll say Double IPA, or Dip-uh, as in Kelly Ripa. In context I'll say "That tastes more like a 'Double'".

So, it seems to be terminology that the community developed, most likely due to the fact that BJCP doesn't appear to care how the style is named or described.

Back