Arduino pH Meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ppeg34

Reaction score
I couldn't find much about people using arduino (or any microcontroller for that matter) to monitor pH.

I stumbled across this unit on e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/pH-Circuit-Sensor-for-Arduino-/200779624796

It says it has temperature independent and dependent readings.

It says that the pH probe would not be able to handle boiling temperatures, but that the circuit can?

Untitled_zps1c1bdc01.png

Any more insight you all can give would be greatly appreciated.

Any microcontroller should work. The real cost of a pH monitoring setup is in the probe. Most pH probes are made of very thin glass. Despite their craftsmenship they are nothing more than electrodes. Inside the probe is a salt solution and a submerged electrode. The outside like I said was very thin glass and when it is submerged in a solution a voltage potential is created between the solutions inside and outside the probe.

Theoretically you should be able to buy any replacement probe, hook it up to the arduino and measure the voltage across the electrode and then using the Nernst equation be able to calculate the pH of the solution. If you have a thermometer in the same solution you can input that into the calculation rather than always measuring at the same temperature.

Any microcontroller should work. The real cost of a pH monitoring setup is in the probe. Most pH probes are made of very thin glass. Despite their craftsmenship they are nothing more than electrodes. Inside the probe is a salt solution and a submerged electrode. The outside like I said was very thin glass and when it is submerged in a solution a voltage potential is created between the solutions inside and outside the probe.

Theoretically you should be able to buy any replacement probe, hook it up to the arduino and measure the voltage across the electrode and then using the Nernst equation be able to calculate the pH of the solution. If you have a thermometer in the same solution you can input that into the calculation rather than always measuring at the same temperature.

Really, really great info.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I understand the appeal but I got the milwaukee mw102 with buffers, cleaning solution and storage solution under $117 shipped.

I just made an arduino ph monitoring tutorial a while back

http://rezaalihussain.blogspot.com/2012/09/arduino-dormant-labs-ph-shield-tutorial.html

I'm in the process of writing a tutorial on using an arduino to control ph, anything u would like to see?

This seems awesome. The new version of the board is only $21, looks like a probe that can go up to 80C can be had for about $25

(http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=3550)

Add in an arduino for under $10 and you have continuous mash monitoring for under $60? Am I missing something? It seems to good to be true?

I have a Hanna Prep PH meter, but it seems that by the time I get around to cooling the sample and taking a reading my mash is significantly converted anyway. Has anybody tried this to know if it is worth the effort?

Bump indeed!

I've never pursued this. My Hanna meter needed a new probe, but I got a replacement as part of a Craigslist buy. The project still looks interesting.

Back