American Wheat Beer American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooked this Sunday but substituted Mt. Hood. Racking into secondary over 5 lbs of crushed strawberries on Saturday. I'm not a big fan of fruity wheats, but this is going to a blues festival in July and I am looking more for mass appeal.

SF-05 is the key to this it looks like. Krausen starting within 3 hours of pitching yeast. Bubbling away steadily within 6 hours. I think I've gotten to used to brewing big IPA's. This one looks so calm and reserved in the carboy. Can't wait to give it a try.

I tried this recipe recently and LOVED IT! Just what i was looking for, a clean, mellow American wheat ale with minimal citrus "notes" and a lingering wheat/yeast flavor. Well done on the recipe! I'm going to try another 5 gallon batch and see if I can tweak it more in the direction of an Oberon.. maybe substitute one of the hop additions with something more fruity, or add some orange peel to the fermenter? It's worth noting I guess, that my temps for the first week of fermentation were kinda all over the map. Started around 66-68, but got no activity in airlock. Knowing of course that doesn't necessarily mean nothing's happening, I couldn't help myself and moved the fermenter into the low 70s. Again, no visible activity. But the gravity readings were consistent with where it should be, so I wasn't overly panicked. I think the last week of the two for fermentation was around 68-70, but clearly it came out just fine, at least IMHO. Thanks for a great recipe!

Awesome beer, was ready just in time for the fight...

image-2856715230.jpg

I used this recipe back in summer '13, loved it. I'm going to try it again, except add some extra amarillo in hopes of creating something akin to Gumballhead... I know, it's winter... but I just love American wheat ales! Plus, I need something extra for a party coming up and I apparently suck at making stouts. I'll post feedback on the latest iteration of your recipe, Jon! And thanks

Back