Gonna Use a Wort Chiller on my cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
Im making cider tomorrow and I plan on picking up an immersion wort chiller tomorrow. I am gonna simmer the cider for about 45 minutes around 160 degrees. I plan on using the chiller to get the cider back down to a temperature to pitch the yeast. When should I use the chiller?

any time at higher temperatures i think drives off some of the aroma/flavor of the cider. try not to overdo it with the heat

I plan on adding cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla beans while simmering.

Then add that as a tea or throw it into the juice and let it ferment with the spices in a bag to remove

Or do like I do and make tinctures of the spices individually so you can add them at bottle time. You don't lose as much nose from the co2 blow off. And you have better control.

Just toss the sugar in and dissolve it

Im making cider tomorrow and I plan on picking up an immersion wort chiller tomorrow. I am gonna simmer the cider for about 45 minutes around 160 degrees. I plan on using the chiller to get the cider back down to a temperature to pitch the yeast. When should I use the chiller?

I wouldn't simmer or heat my cider. If you feel that you need to pasteurize it, you can use campden tablets, or bring it up to 140 degrees for 30 minutes if you really feel that you have to, but a "cooked" cider taste isn't appealing.

What about the addition of ingredients like cinnamon and vanilla beans?

Back