Decoction question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6357

Reaction score
Looking at a recipe that recommends decoction. I understand the basic principal of it but how do I know how much water to start with so I get right amount of wort.

Also do you sparge with decoction? You do right? If so how much water? I'm going for a 5 gallon brew.

When I do a 2 step decoction I start with the mash in 2 separate MLTs, my direct fire MLT with 40% of the grist (1.5qts per pound), and my Cooler MLT with the remaining 60% (1.5qts per pound).

Dough in the cooler to arrive at your sacch rest temp. Heat the direct fire to 125 and rest for 10 minutes, then bring it to a boil for 10 minutes (or whatever the recipe schedule calls for). Then recombine the grist into the cooler to bring the entire mash up to the final rest temp.

Cool thaks. I think I'm good to go now. Luckily the recipe I found has volume size for decoction to bring temps up I found later. iMac double check with calculation.

Back