power supply cord for e-brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanneltrees804

Reaction score
Currently in the final stages of a Kal clone and wondering about the main power cord. The breaker box is the house and the brew rig is 45' away in a detached garage. What I want to do is hook the spa panel up inside the house with a dryer plug built in and build a 55' power cord with the dryer plug on one end and the nema on the other. Is this going to be too much resistance? Am I going to have big power loss over the 55'?

4 wire power cords are expensive over 10' in length everywhere I looked. I needed 20' and my solution was to buy 25' of 10awg wire, put the plug Kal recommends on on end and I got a 4 prong plug from eBay for the other. Even though the 4 prong was pricey, by the time you add the wire, prong, and Kal's plug it was still cheaper than getting a custom cord made. And so far it has worked fine. It's a bit stiff, though, as you might imagine, but no biggie. It works.

I have a hookup at mcmaster and get the cable for less than $2 foot which is still pricey when u need 60' but it's a lot better than most places.

I think 10/4 sjoow power cable is only rated at 25 amps. You should really be looking at 8/4 soow power cable.

I'm using 50' of 10 gage in a similar situation. Works great for one heating element at a time. I suspect it will work fine for two but haven't tried it yet.

I'm just running one element and 2 pumps max at a time. So far it's worked for me. I have a BCS and it is set up to kill the other element before starting a new element just to be on the safe side.

Back