Eis-rum? (brown sugar ice distilled)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Call me crazy!

Thinking kinda rum.......hypothetically......

thinking 5 gallons to start.

12 lbs or so brown sugar.....champagne yeast?

Invert first?

plan to freeze and remove ice, maybe more than once.

Non carbonated.

I would base the water to sugar amount as close to the highest abv the yeast will tolerate to reduce the amount of water I had to remove.

so, you want to take sh*t water and concentrate the flavors?

Welcome to homebrewing of the 1600's. And one of the earliest known creations of rum.

Malaysians had been doing just this centuries before the first distillation of an actual Rum.

They called it "Brum" and it was described as being a very tasty sugar wine.

Welcome to homebrewing of the 1600's. And one of the earliest known creations of rum.

Malaysians had been doing just this centuries before the first distillation of an actual Rum.

They called it "Brum" and it was described as being a very tasty sugar wine.

that's fine, but I don't think I'll personally take the word of 17th century malaysians as to what is "very tasty".

So you take a simple thread and want a fight? Nice troll.

Listen dipsnot, you don't like it? go somewhere else.

Champagne yeast? High abv beer yeast?

your first line was "Call me crazy!"

i did, and now you're whining about it.

i don't want a fight at all. you're the one mixing sh*twater and coke!

I was thinking champagne yeast or wlp099 super high gravity yeast. I think it's a cool experiment! Good luck!

Actually, bread yeast works fine. Its cultured on molasses anyways.

champagne can lead to a brackish flavor.

Distillers yeast is similar to bread yeast, but with a higher alc tollerance and better flocc.

Di ammonium phosphate is a must for fermenting any cane sugar product. brown sugar and molasses need the nitrogen it gives.

I suggest reading the alaskan bootleggers bible, particularly the chapter on making apple jack.

Edit: in my experience, starting with about 12# brown sugar to 5 gallons water is a good starting point. I like to replace one gal water with 100% applejuice, too. A straight sugar wash can be hard to ferment thoroughly

Good stuff Southbay. I had forgotten about the bootleggers bible, great suggestions. This has me intrigued I may need to try it on a smaller scale.

SouthBay said:
Actually, bread yeast works fine. Its cultured on molasses anyways.

champagne can lead to a brackish flavor.

Distillers yeast is similar to bread yeast, but with a higher alc tollerance and better flocc.

Di ammonium phosphate is a must for fermenting any cane sugar product. brown sugar and molasses need the nitrogen it gives.

I suggest reading the alaskan bootleggers bible, particularly the chapter on making apple jack.

Edit: in my experience, starting with about 12# brown sugar to 5 gallons water is a good starting point. I like to replace one gal water with 100% applejuice, too. A straight sugar wash can be hard to ferment thoroughly

Thanks! this is what I needed.

OK Peace moto.

My take is that "call me crazy..." means "I know some of you will scoff, here is a heads up that I already freaking know that. Save the lecture for someone who needs it"

It wasn't until your 2nd combative "shat water" post that I took offense.

Now you are the one acting surprised.

your first line was "Call me crazy!"

i did, and now you're whining about it.

i don't want a fight at all. you're the one mixing sh*twater and coke!

sh*t water....who would have thought you were trying to fight?

My apologies!!!

Pulling the trigger finally! Will report.

Back